Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - 90 20v quattro sport - revival

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

that is weird Owen, i still have the original lock the spring mechanism at the back is totally different. But yep in the second photo the item on the bottom left is the addition, like a housing for something, alarm would be interest, perhaps for an Audi option, god whole knows!

Si, was fairly rare when i bought it... does anyone know how many were sold in the UK? 10,20,50,100, 200, 500? guessing its gign to be low as the arent the common. Thanks, wonder if it will be the full circus event this time!

I had one glimmer of goodness last week, guy in the same building as me has harped on and on about his new BMW 120is coupe thing being the best thing since sliced bread, pulling out of work, he gave it beans, sod it i will see if it goes, it did... he began to disappear in the mirror it went great guns, next roundabout 2 miles up the car started its usual pogo but it was enough to make him do the sheepish wave... once in a blue moon it restores my faith, if it did it on demand i would be happy Smile

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

the rumour was 92 were imported, most of which were red.

There's probably less than 10 white ones left

Gompa
Got Nothing Better To Do

Location: Between a big wall and some lakes..... that will be carlisle then!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

istoo wrote:

worst case scenario the car shell is knackered, but i am hoping the engine will be the crowning glory. if it becomes salvageable for another project then so be it, will pick a good shell next time.

what?? have i missed something here Confused whats wrong with the shell? ive pm'd you about your wings as there turning into a bit of nightmare but nothing that cant be sorted. EVERYTHING can be fixed and i do mean everything it has to be pretty rotten/bent for it to be screwed, ive been pretty slow with your wings with losing my compressor and changing lock-ups but the new one is like a bloody hanger and i needed it so that i can acctually work on cars and have room for other items.

And of coarse you slayed that euro box do you know how much they weigh?? My friend has a new focus st and was shouting his mouth off about it slaying my s2 so i had a sneeky peak at the weight of it in a brochure Shock my s2 is something like 1500kg all dry and the st 1497kg!!!! its a hatchback for gods sake Shocked

gavs20v
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

someone please shoot me in the head but fucus st are a bloody bargain. awesome handling let down by the fact theyre a fooooooooooooooooooord

Gompa
Got Nothing Better To Do

Location: Between a big wall and some lakes..... that will be carlisle then!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

gavs20v wrote:
someone please shoot me in the head but fucus st are a bloody bargain. awesome handling let down by the fact theyre a fooooooooooooooooooord

nope they are not take off the badges and you got yourself a bonafied volvo hatchback!! nearly everything that goes on them are stamped with the big swedes name on em Wink sorry for off topic Embarassed

istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

having a moan really, still in limbo. Had it coming on for a year and its broken down twice quite big time. Winter is coming and the other car is RWD. I need it fixed, biggest problem being realistic is me... i am no bodywork expert or mechanic. It has taken me months to fix a lock! But i suppose i fixed it.

Wife is really nagging now, "its not worth it", I am desperate to prove her wrong but coming short there. Some nice examples of B4/B3's are going for silly money these days. Do i quit and start again or stick with it. Easy to stay stick with it but funds are more of an issue for me this year. Business has been fairly hard hit, so i dont have the spare cash i had last year, or even 3 months ago! However rarity appeals to me, the club has helped keep this on the road thus far, i would be doing myself and audifans a dis-service if i didnt give it my best shot...

next... Nogins! And paint the spare door handle, will get Gompa to look at the other areas i am not happy with when/if i actually meet him, he leads such a jet set lifestyle constantly travelling the world for parties! Nogin is in huge demand and i suppose i am happy to wait, if a little frustrated that the car is getting no better.

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

still working out cheaper than what you spent on the A4 with the problems you had with that. Remember how much the diesel pump cost? Enough said. You still saved yourself a fortune. I thought it was 94, not 92, BUT I go with Mike- he knows more than I do (although one of the members' 10v quattro's threw me on Saturday with most of it being a Sport, but not a sport....

Istoo; I've had one, Phil has 2, Mike has 1- that's 4 red. I think I've seen abo0ut 40% + of the sport quattro versions, as Mike says, most are red. For a decent one, you may be looking at £2k + mark- and even then you still don't know what you will be getting. I say stick with it, stop ya blithering! Laughing Laughing

Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

audioc wrote:

Istoo; I've had one, Phil has 2, Mike has 1- that's 4 red. I think I've seen abo0ut 40% + of the sport quattro versions, as Mike says, most are red. For a decent one, you may be looking at £2k + mark- and even then you still don't know what you will be getting. I say stick with it, stop ya blithering! Laughing Laughing

Yup mine was red, still regret letting urquattrob have it but I didn't know he was a member of this site and thats where he contacted me thru, drove it home and stripped it, there was nothing major wrong with the car Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Acidburn wrote:
audioc wrote:

Yup mine was red, still regret letting urquattrob have it but I didn't know he was a member of this site and thats where he contacted me thru, drove it home and stripped it, there was nothing major wrong with the car Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

You know what the answer is... but another one!

istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

update:
Nogin is up to his eyes in it so we have called back until he is clear to spend time on my 90. This will be October/ November but will post up when that happens. However not all bad gives me time to "sort" a few other areas! Project renewed by the fact there was a 90 quattro 20v sport on Pistonheads at the weekend for £2500! OK it might have been a a touch too much but its let wife see that it is worth it.

Over this month i aim to have the following complete:

::Gompa's in Carlisle to get the painted and refurbished wings fitted. this will be the single biggest improvement for my missus!

::Spray the black door handle alpine white to match the car.

::I still haven't been successful in pulling codes fro the car. I know the fault code readers i have made are correct (made three!!!) So will attempt to get someone with a diagnostics to read it first, if MikeS2 makes it up to Aviemore in October i will come over purely to get this done. Unless i can find someone local who can do the same for me.

::I am hoping the knock sensors are the root cause of my running issues, although i have priced these and they are not cheap at all. So I may try a SH first if I can source some at a good price.

The suspension is alive but tired, this will be addressed in a few months. I would really like to have the car running sweet for the winter months when it will be most useful!

I am beginning to revert back to original wheels, so i am casually looking for some nice 15" speedlines, MikeS2 unique speedlines i still like but cant justify... yet.

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mike's Speedlines are less than the chip you paid for on the A4... and that doesn't include the new fuel pump... Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing

gavs20v
UltraUser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

are the 7a knock sensors the same as 3b s2 ones? if so pm ben (roadkill) he has some spare near new ones he would sell/lend you
Gav

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

not so sure I'll be at Aviemore to help Iain.

Knock sensors are Hitachi unfortunately so S2 3B ones are no good

istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for the offer chaps! At Mike does our car have the spark plug type sensor rather than the disc type?

GSF cant come up with a price, finding them harder and harder to get information from. Quattro Corner are quoting me £100, but i recall there are two Peter says ETKA comes up with just one? Mike can you enlighten me?

Andy, I know you hated the last car, to be fair it was a good car, just not a me car. I never bought a new fuel pump in the end, but did spend a lot getting the engine right, and the remap was £230, i think that would get me about 2.5 of mikes wheels! I know what they owe him, but i would see those as a final touch. With body rust and a poor running engine coming first. Besides i am not as well off this year as i was last year, with one more mouth to feed and business being a lot harder/tighter. I think we have all been in that boat with the financial market hitting all of us one way or another.

Small violins out means i spend more time finding things cheaper/ SH or trying to do things myself. Which was the point of this project?!

Fast28
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't be suprised if your injectors are goosed. If you suspect knock sensors just disconnect them, they are there to retard timing and they can be set off by misfires also (any engine related vibration in fact). They will cut power but the engine will still run smooth.

If I owned a 7A and wanted a daily runner first thing on my shopping list would be the 034 Motorsports replacement injector kit or at least get the injectors professionally checked and cleaned ultrasonically.

2.8 Cabriolet Final Edition
30v

| Brembos | 993 mirrors | Keskin KT4 | H&R Cup | RS2 front | Jetex | 
istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

funny you say that, i was going to ask what happens if i just disconnect them? bugger it will try that when I get a minute.

The 034injectors are high high on my list! Unlike you knowledgeable lot i don't have much of a clue what i am doing, bumbling my way around Smile I have a spare set of injectors i nabbed from my spares care with the intention of cleaning them and giving it a go.

appreciate the reply Si

cq20v
Site ADMIN
Site ADMIN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fast28 wrote:

If I owned a 7A and wanted a daily runner first thing on my shopping list would be the 034 Motorsports replacement injector kit.

Do they really make that much difference?

1993 S2 Coupe - Sold (gutted)
1989 CQ20V - Sold
1986 Coupe GT - Deceased
1985 Coupe GT - Deceased 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

by all accounts.. yes!
Si i know has messed about with injectors with his countless rolling 2.8 projects. As this is off the shelf it saves the hassle and instantly opens up the scope to make the air intake side match the fuelling thereafter. Well thats the way i see it.

Fast28
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

034 Injectors are more of a reliability upgrade than performance. As I understand new injectors for the 7A are insanely expensive and are real odd ball injectors from a by-gone age. The 034 kit includes adapters to run modern Bosch injectors that are a lot cheaper and reliable and also gives future scope to upgrade if need be. You can't expect 20 year old injectors to run like new! A few people here run them.

2.8 Cabriolet Final Edition
30v

| Brembos | 993 mirrors | Keskin KT4 | H&R Cup | RS2 front | Jetex | 
istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

all true... will go for simply disconnecting the knock sensors FIRST then see where we go from there. After all this time that thought only crossed my mind yesterday after typing the update... woods.. trees... DEAD keen to see if it works!

Next job where are they, two i belive one sits above the other on the RHS of the block under the inlet manifold.

istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i love this place Smile

couldnt resist.. found the pictures on vagcat.com of the knock sensor wiring so disconnected. seems there is a bank of 4 connectors at the back of the engine on the bulkhead. just disconnected the one ire i could fololow. started. it went. take for a run. went great runs for 2 minutes as it usually does. But then instead of pogo-ing down the road it just reduced the power a little. NOTHING like as bad as it was. juts going to try disconnecting the other and see how it goes.

Si, big thanks. feel like i am gettign somewhere. repot in a few minutes.. too excited its almost working ish.

Can i do damage with these disconnected?

EDIT: Right thats both disconnected at the bulkhead side and it is revving smoothly and a linear power delivery. No pogo-ing at all so that cured that problem. Although its temporary as i know i need new sensors. BUT its still not pulling to full potential feels like its an NG powered car rather than a 7A sounds good pulls clean but not quite pulling as hard as it should on the top end. Keep the help coming.. christ i owe all you lot a serious keg of beer now!

istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

now that the knock sensors aren the issue. either they are faulty OR are picking up another problem and correctly stopping any knock. After some reading and i hope not mis-direction i am going to buy some of this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ECOTEK-POWER-BOOST-ENGINE-ENERGIZER-DECOKE-IN-A-CAN-*_W0QQitemZ220453562659QQcmdZViewItem#ht_4010wt_804
seem sot offer a pretty deep chemical clean of the intake system. at 19 years old it HAS to be a bit dirty.

Anyone else had joy with injector cleaners/ treatment. i looked at redex and the clones initially but the ecotek cleaner seems to be rated well.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't run them for long disconnected.

They are there to tell the ecu to retard timing due to knock.

It's probably worthwhile undoing them and re-torquing them. You need the ones like these
link

istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thanks mike, looks like i have them Smile top one looks fairly easy to get at.. the lower one doesn't though Sad

istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mikes2 wrote:
I wouldn't run them for long disconnected.

They are there to tell the ecu to retard timing due to knock.

It's probably worthwhile undoing them and re-torquing them. You need the ones like these
link

update:

reconnected the knock sensors, part problem so i have won the link that mike gave. One more thing to replace and try. plugs shown for reference.

been reading up on knock and the causes of, interesting to gather more information for my cause anyway. But get the codes read next is the next step forward.

I have bought some ecotek power boost energizer spray. A foam application goes in upstream of the MAF with the engine running, maybe much the same as a tank of high octane fuel. who knows. not costing much so i am not going to complain at £10 its worth a go in my mind. I cant see ti being the cure but i can see it helping a little bit.

Saturday, glorious weather HAD to do something on the car, so masked off the drivers door handle, sanded it down, 2x primer and 8x coats of alpine white rattle can. came out pretty well, sound a few wee rust spots as well but will "save" these for Gompa's expert eye.

quattrokid
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

have you tried Ben @ AVPerformance?

he is pretty clued up on these cars

AVPerformance
Unit 4
Anderstaff Ind. Estate
Hawkins Lane
Burton upon Trent
Staffs.
DE14 1QH

T: 01283 548 483
E: enquiries@avperformance.co.uk

istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for the offer, but i have Nogsport (Nogin on here), he is also very clued up on these as well. I went there a few months ago and was blown away with A knowledge, B ability, C amount of spares and D banter!!! (edit: I missed out honesty)

If you go from the start of the thread, i purposefully bought this as a project to learn the art of the spanner! Hence why i get pissed off, mainly because i don't know how to fix it, but i have learned a lot on my thus far short journey! i am pottering about and making slow but steady progress.

Nogin is a dedicated enthusiast to the extreme, but with a proper old fashioned mechanical knack and genuinely enjoys it. If he thought a 7A could replace his heart i am sure he would have a working transplant by the end of the week...

quattrokid
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ok, didnt realise that istoo, thought you where stuck.

looking forward to seeing you car sometime.

istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh i do get stuck, then i get a bit of help till i get stuck on the next thing, but that is the main reason for the thread Smile

dangerousd1
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

istoo wrote:
thanks for the offer, but i have Nogsport (Nogin on here), he is also very clued up on these as well. I went there a few months ago and was blown away with A knowledge, B ability, C amount of spares and D banter!!! (edit: I missed out honesty)

If you go from the start of the thread, i purposefully bought this as a project to learn the art of the spanner! Hence why i get pissed off, mainly because i don't know how to fix it, but i have learned a lot on my thus far short journey! i am pottering about and making slow but steady progress.

Nogin is a dedicated enthusiast to the extreme, but with a proper old fashioned mechanical knack and genuinely enjoys it. If he thought a 7A could replace his heart i am sure he would have a working transplant by the end of the week...

here here.. i wholeheartedly agree with all the above statement!!
Applause

I will be finally picking up my 20v Coupe Nogsport conversion tommorow lunchtime!! If i had a tail it would be wagging furiously right now!! Laughing

View next topic
View previous topic