Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Project daily driver...clean car photos inside...

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
morgs
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

Here's my first foray into the world of four rings, and I'm as happy as a pig in the proverbial with it Very Happy

The mighty 2.0E has covered a little over 150,000 in the 18years that it's been rolling but is tight, nippy and sounds great through the stainless steel exhaust. I'm still relatvely young [25 and counting] so I haven't had much chance to get a load of cars under my belt but compared to my others [1983 e21, 1977 chevette saloon, b4 passat estate, various 1980s fords and peugeot 205gtis] it just feels so much better put together and finished with quality.

The interior is really tidy and unmolested, as is the exterior. It's not staying like this for long though Wink Plans in the pipeline involve a 5 stud hub conversion, lowered sports suspension, clear indicators, atd for the dash, bigger stoppers and once I can get the zetec'd mk1 fiesta back on four wheels and out of the garage there's a few weekends worth of detailing needed to remedy 18years worth of stone chips and tar on the front end.

Part of the plan...

Very Happy

I'm after the lower outer door trim for both sides too. I know that it's a pretty common failing so I'm guessing spares are thin on the ground but if anyone's got any ideas where I can find them then give us a yell!

Thoughts and advice appreciated on the project. Better photos to follow too [it's actually remarkably red but camera phones...meh!]

So hi to all, look forward to getting some feedback and chat going.

morgs Very Happy

Last edited by morgs on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total 
monkeyboyuk
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

welcome,

nice one fella, just got myself one a few weeks back, and intend doing a few bits to it too!!

like the new alloys Very Happy

morgs
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers mate.

Made me smile that I could get a car as cool and individual as this [there's not that many times you'll see another out on a drive] with a years MOT, full history and the number of replacement parts that it had had done [no expense spared by the previous owners].

I love it, and I don't get the earache from her in drawers because this one has a full interior and a blower that gets hot Razz

I am looking for a Haynes for it though [any clues on the product code for this particular model?] or a similar service manual if there's one available? Also looking for a part number for the replacement strut tops and dampers. All news is good news so get sending your advice in...

morgs

G-mo
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

another tidy coupe Cool

Haynes book code is 1491, only covers 'up to 1990' but most things are the same...

top mounts - go to Audi, genuine ones are not expensive, and better than any others so far!

nice alloys, what are they off? If a TT, be careful - not all TTs have the standard Audi PCD of 5x112, but are 5x100...

\'00 Kingfisher Blue A4 1.8SE 
monkeyboyuk
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

got a spare copy of that haynes, i'll send you over a copy, was gonna chop it up and make a pdf!! handy to have on the pc

morgs
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

Just wanted to check something with those in the know.

As part of my coupes overhaul I’m looking to upgrade the suspension.

Car details:
Audi Coupe
2.0E
First registered 1992
Engine code: ABK070000
Chasis number: WAUZZZ8BZNA010423

I’ve been looking around and there’s some decent enough kits out there but I really don’t know if I’m diluting my search too much and should have my thoughts concentrated more on a couple of manufacturers? I’ve tried to put a few examples of what I’ve found down, and would be really grateful if anyone had any opinions on what to go for.

Also, I’ve never experienced such ambiguity when searching for car parts as I have when looking for this coupe. Can someone give me the definitive model that I should be looking for when browsing the world wide web as it’s rarely the coupe that comes up. Can equipment from earlier models [again-what models should I be keeping my eye out for?] fit the coupe?

The options are either a set of lowering springs on the standard [although I’d fit a new set of oem items at the same time] dampers, or treat myself to a full kit of springs and dampers. Too be honest my past catalogue of cars has ranged from pug 205 diesels to 80’s e21s but never encompassed a full suspension change past new shocks for an mot or springs with a coil or three missing... Shocked The audi is too nice to eff up with anything but a planned approach. You know how sometimes you can become overprotective of a car and money suddenly becomes immaterial when it comes to working on it Rolling Eyes

The first kit is the AVO adjustable kit. £460.00 from Avo direct the springs themselves would lower the car 35mm and I suppose I could fit them to a set of standard dampers. The full kit however offers new dampers and springs at a cost not hugely greater than standard kit with the added benefit of adjustability. Has anyone any experience of fitting or driving this kit? Am I right in thinking the spec that I’ve selected is the right kit for my application? If not, someone clicky... www.avouk.com...and help me out here!

80 / 90 1.6TD / 1.9D / 2.0 + Coupe TY89 86>91 120352 £100.00 35 TAI05-01 £90.00 SE639 £90.00 RS120352 £460.00

The rest of the kits are purely hypothetical at the moment, but I’ve been browsing the web for kits for the same application from Spax, gmax, jamex and K&W. If anyone has fitted or driven these then any experiences would be helpful at this stage.

I appreciate that the Boge shocks will seem like a sleepeasy mattress in comparison to the uprated kit, but the car isn’t intended as a track weapon, more a fast road car. For this reason, I would like a compromise between road holding ability/limited body roll and the crashiness of ride that can come from aftermarket kits.

Whilst I’m mucking about with the oily/greasy bits I’m also thinking of fitting some uprated bushes [good/bad idea as these would represent further limitations on the compromise of ride and comfort?] so if anyone could provide experience of a set up that they might be running I can get it all down in the notebook!

Ooh, and look what turned up at the post office yesterday...ebay to the rescue and minty mint condition with boss Very Happy Shall be getting it fitted up this weekend with photos of progress and fingers crossed a decent internal/external clean as it’s been a fortnight!

morgs

morgs
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, and the audi rims are 17" off a TT so 5x100 Very Happy I've got a set of hub adaptors already fabbed up and awaiting my five stud hub conversion and then the world of big and modern audi rims is my oyster!

They are tidy though, and the black shadow chrome treatment looks the danglies. Can't wait to get them on and scrub in the Falkens. Looking to get a bike soon so the audi can be resigned to lady of leisure status and receive a bit of garage pampering before the summer!

morgs

Last edited by morgs on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total 
morgs
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Spring compressors just dropped onto my doorstep too, so keep the suspension advice coming!

morgs

morgs
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Right, well after further research [looking back through my notebook of intended modifications] I’ve got the following list of exciting opportunities for you to have a look through.

I’ve put down information on springs and suspension kits so if I’ve made any glaring fitment/model errors then please alert me and everyone else to my shortcomings! If you’ve run any of the combinations before then shout up from the back and let me know how you got on/what you would recommend/steer clear of. TBH I’d rather have too much information to have to sift through than nothing.

Read at your hearts content!

Eibach:
Pro kit spring kit Audi 80 [B4] Avant/Estate 1.6, 2.0, 2.3, 1.9TDi 09/1992-12/1995 lowers front by 30-35mm and rear by 30mm [E1525-240]
Pro kit spring kit Audi 80 [B4] saloon 1.6, 2.0, 2.3, 1.9TDi 09/1991-10/1994 lowers front by 30-35mm and rear by 30mm [E1519-240]
Pro kit spring kit Audi 80 [Type 89] 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 1.6TD, 1.9D 10/1996-08/1991 lowers front by 30-35mm and rear by 30mm [E1507-140]
Pro kit spring kit Audi 90 [Type 89] 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 1.6TD 10/1986-09/1991 lowers front by 30-35mm and rear by 30mm [E1508-140]

Koni:
Audi Coupe 2.0E, 2.3E, 2.3E-20V, 2.6E, 2.8E 1989-1995 Single Front adjustable Sport Damper [86 2066Sport]
Audi Coupe 2.0E, 2.3E, 2.3E-20V, 2.6E, 2.8E 1989-1995 Single Front adjustable Sport Damper [8610 1262Sport] Unsure as to the difference but I’ve emailed Koni to try and find out
Audi Coupe 2.0E, 2.3E, 2.3E-20V, 2.6E, 2.8E 1989-1995 Single rear adjustable Sport Damper [80 2625Sport]

Supersport:
Audi 80 1.6, 2.0, 1.9TDi 4 cylinder B4 09/1991-10/1994 spring kit lowers 40mm [SU10058]
Audi 80 1.6, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0 and diesel 89 10/1986-09/1991 spring kit lowers 40mm [SU10012]
Audi 80 1.6, 1.9 TDI, 2.0, 2.3 and Coupe Type B4 1992 –Front single shock absorber [SUAU001V]
Audi 80 1.6, 1.9 TDI, 2.0, 2.3 and Coupe Type B4 1992 –Rear single shock absorber [SUAU002H]
Audi 80 1.6, 1.9 TDI, 2.0, 2.3 and Coupe Type B4 09/1991-10/1994 Suspension kit lowers 40mm [SU10N058]
Audi 80 1.6, 1.9 TDI, 2.0 and Coupe Type 89 09/1986 – 1991 Suspension kit lowers 40mm [SU10N012]

Spax:
Audi 80/90 1.6TD, 1.9D, 2.0 & Coupe - Type 89 9/86-91 Fixed sports suspension lowers by 40mm [V7993]
Audi 80/90 1.6TD, 1.9D, 2.0 & Coupe - Type 89 9/86-91 Ride adjustable suspension lowers by 40mm [TAP390]
Audi 80/90 Quattro + Coupe 4+5cyl 10/86-01/96 lowering spring kit lowers by 35mm [s002060]

Gmax:
Audi 80/90/2.0/2.2/2.3 including Coupe excluding Quattro/Avant/Sport 09/1986-10/1991 lowers by 40mm spring kit [30 AU 02]
Audi 80 4 and 5 cylinder excluding Avant/Quattro 10/1991-11/1994 lowers by 40mm Spring kit [30 AU 12]

PI:
Spring kit Audi 80 4/5 cylinder Coupe 09/1991 lowers 40mm [10-010]
Spring kit Audi 80, 90 1.6TD, 1.9D, 2.0, 2.2, 2.3 [including Coupe] 81/85/89 1979-1991 lowers 40mm [10-036]
Suspension kit Audi 80 1.6, 2.0, 2.3, 4 and 5 cylinder Coupe 1991-1994 lowers 40mm [PISK1105]

morgs

G-mo
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

those wheels are nice indeed, just wanted to make sure you knew, is all Wink my mate bought a set of those for his A4 and they wouldn't fit

Wink I had the Spax kit on my 80, didn't like it. The rear was fine, but the front was rock hard or bouncy - no inbetween. However, your engine will be a different nose weight than the TDI, so will affect the ride... also the front shocks were dead after about 15k miles

I have the Boge Turbo gas shocks on my coupe, and they are good - firm but not hard. No issues with them at all

your car is front wheel drive, right? Just whatever you order, don't get a Quattro kit - the fronts will fit but the rears won't! Rolling Eyes

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The only comment I would make is that the Koni adjustables need to be removed from the car to be adjusted

morgs
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I noticed that they need to be removed in order to adjust them. Not the most convenient of systems but tbh the adjustment factor perhaps isn't as big an issue as I think it is, and how often are you going to 'tweak' a road cars suspension anyway?!

I'm still getting my head around specs and the list of upgrades that I'd like to make to the car. I'm a bit of a measure twice cut once kind of person so I might be on here a whole lot more asking peoples opinions and advice.

I can't promise that my questioning will lessen, but I can promise progress pics as I go, and write ups of the work undertaken. Boring to those who've done it all before but worth it if it only helps one other sat at their computer scratching their head Razz

morgs

G-mo
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

absolutely - picture progress is always helpful, this here site is a 'real life' Haynes manual, and more Very Happy

morgs
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've just come back from a weekend written off in Cardiff. But what a weekend...game atmosphere was electric in town, and hair on the back of your neck tingling when in the stadium Very Happy

So updates then...well due to the weekend manoeuvres I was tinkering Thursday evening and managed to get the three spoke sports wheel on, the sagging passenger door tightened back up, mudflaps off in preparation of fitting the lowering kit soon and clear front indicators fitted.

Pics are all here, and I reckon for two hours of spannering it makes a really big difference. Just the thicker steering wheel makes driving the car a nicer experience.

I'm still on the look out for clear side repeaters [closest I've found was smoked at the place I got my clear indicators from]. http://www.ultimatestyling.com/ They also do over the counter sales if you're ever swinging by.

Right, so photos then.

Clear indicators

Clear indicators close up [I'm really happy with the fit and function of these although I'm looking for some less obvious bulbs to replace the relatively boggo standard ones they threw in with the two units].

Sports wheel Very Happy

And one just for the sake of it!

Apologies for the state of the car. I fitted a new set of Audi mats, but really need to have a decent go at the whole interior with upholstery cleaner and a vac. It's really tidy though with just a bit of bolster wear on the drivers seat. The only real paintwork issues are where it's taken a stone battering over the years, so it'll be a few months saving and then I'll get it all sorted in one go because she's worth it Razz

Next work is a System 2 lowering kit -35mm or thereabouts, and new top mounts and powerflex bushes to fit at the same time. Only worry is that the System 2 kit that I've been offered is a secondhand kit intended for a 2.3E. I'm assuming that it'll all bolt up but the springs may well be stiffer to compensate for the heavier/faster lump? Any thoughts then get in touch Laughing Thoughts on the modifications so far too please people.

morgs

G-mo
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

its the little things that can make the car look refreshed - looking good Cool

if you can get your hands on a carpet shampooer, remove the seats and give them a good clean - it'll take years off them

nogin
Account deactivated by user request

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Looking good Morg, have you been to see that nogsport bloke yet? He may be able to strip, sorry, sort your car for you Very Happy Wink

morgs
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

nogin wrote:
Looking good Morg, have you been to see that nogsport bloke yet? He may be able to strip, sorry, sort your car for you Very Happy Wink

I've heard that he isn't all that Wink Although leave a red battery without screwing it down and it'd be lifted and fitted before you could say 'Alan, you could do something towards taking your engine out if you like.' Very Happy

Car came up well this weekend with a couple of hours of washing and waxing on Saturday morning...of course completely wasted after the three hour drive to Santa Pod that followed.

It was the retro show up there and we headed up Saturday afternoon to hang out with the retro rides lot. Plenty of beers and bar b q'd food on the Saturday night as well as plenty of quick ricer action on the track until Saturday evening [rotorstock event].

Rain tamped down all night Saturday turning happy campers into wet happy campers but by Sunday morning the skies had cleared and the sun was beaming down. A bacon and cheese bap later and we packed up and made the 20 second drive to the stand where I discovered that the no glass on site rule can be flaunted to great success, because it's the aluminium tent pegs that people leave in when they come to leave that f*ck up your tyres. I'd obviously parked on one the previous day and had naf all air in the tyre come Sunday morning. And guess who'd left his locking nut socket at home Embarassed

So after mashing an 18 onto the nut and cracking it off I got the spare on! Three wheel bolts later and the car was ready for the trip back.

All day Sunday we watched lairy and standard kit fly down the strip [only two Audis though-one gt and a new A6, though my contribution was prevented by the puncture incident Evil or Very Mad ] Also caught the Funny Jet car and a mental Pro Street Morris Minor Traveller. Pics to follow but it was a late limp home yesterday so I'll have to upload them this evening. [Warning...poorly car content will be included Crying or Very sad ]

Not to worry though, next year the 5 and the 4 cylinder will both be on the road, the head works, suspension and other plans finished and then the 'standard' 8v might raise a few smiles Very Happy

Eric, might have to postpone the visit until October...can explain it away as my birthday treat then, as I'd hope to get the head and cam bought and ready to hit it all in one go. I'll throw another set of dates at you as we go along.

So, photos to follow.

Morgs

To clear up car terms: "Understeer" is hitting the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is hitting the fence with the rear."Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence."Torque" is how far you take it with you 
nogin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing Nice one Morg, seems you had a fun time other than the tent peg Cool

No probs with october Morg, it's all good, now get those pics up Wink

morgs
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well I did promise to get some pics up from my weekend at the retro show at Santa Pod. I haven't included many of the other cars there, although my photobucket account is heaving with them if anyone wants me to start a general thread anywhere else.

So there's the car being cleaned, driving to the show to undo all that good work, what I saw at Membury Services in the car park [the meeting of Paul Weller coming out of the loos-yes really- went without a photo as I didn't want to ruin the cool moment we had as we nodded in passing], setting up the campsite, my poorly front tyre, some of the other cars on the stand and then a bit of the atmosphere of the show.

Some photos were taken on the camera, some on the phone, but all are low res through potatoboquet so apologies for the fuzziness here and there.

Very chuffed with how the coupe came up though Very Happy That's a bucket and shampoo and a quick polish [three hours all in] on Saturday morning, and two hours of hoovering and dash buffing on the Friday evening.

morgs

To clear up car terms: "Understeer" is hitting the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is hitting the fence with the rear."Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence."Torque" is how far you take it with you 
QuattroJames
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

morgs wrote:
at Membury Services in the car park [the meeting of Paul Weller coming out of the loos-yes really- went without a photo as I didn't want to ruin the cool moment we had as we nodded in passing]

Probably best not to be hanging around that area with a camera anyway Shocked

Car looks very nice from the pictures Wink

Ingolstance 
nogin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice pics there Morg, wow you have cleaned your coupe up some compared to how I last saw it, nice one it's come up a treat Cool Cool Wink

Saw the God Weller in concert at "Dallemere Forest" here in cheshire not 2 months ago (3rd time), got right up front too, he said thankyou after another top tune, I shouted above the crowd in my quiet voice, No! Thankyou! he acknowledge me with a huge smile and the crowd loved it followed with numerous pats on my back Very Happy Very Happy Dancing headbang

View next topic
View previous topic