Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - 99' 2.8 Cabriolet

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've just bought a 2.8 V6 final edition cabriolet, it'll be my daily driver while I get one of my other cars back on the road.

The best thing about it is the massive list of options, it has cruise control, heated seats, trip computer, sports leather interior, wood trim, air con, electric hood, Delta stereo with active rear speakers, built in sub and 6CD changer, ski bag and sports suspension with 17" alloys.

It's Santorin blue (Z5K) with Sesame leather. It's only done 58k miles and has full service history most of which is Audi and came with a full years MOT. It only cost me £3150 which I'm quite pleased with.

I will get some decent pictures when I get a chance but here are a couple of awful ones from my phone for the meantime

It's got a few very minor problems that I'll be sorting but it drives without fault. So far I've fixed the temperature gauge, replaced the bulbs in the gear indicator display although it only works for the first 2 seconds after I turn the ignition on so it looks like I'll need to replace that. I've taken the electric aerial apart as it was slipping, it turns out the plastic cog is worn but there is a repair kit for it which is good. I've also resealed the headlight as the lens had been replaced but not sealed properly. I'll try and document the other jobs as I do them.

So far I've had fun driving it, especially with the roof down. It's not fast at all for the size of engine but it does sound nice and is perfect for cruising around.

Matt

90 Rover Mini Flame Red, Turbocharged
69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've got a couple more jobs done today. First I tackled the boot looms, most things were working but the boot would not unlock with the central locking so I took both looms out. Only one wire was broken but all were cracked so I replaced them all. I also cleaned up all the contacts on the 3rd brake light as it didn't work either, it does now but the lens is in poor condidion so I've ordered a new one.

The second job was to reattach one of the hood tensioning straps which had come unstiched, a previous owner had replaced it with some cable ties which didn't really work. Once the cable ties were removed I was left with this part of the headlining where the strap should be stiched in

Tools for the job!

I simply stiched the strap back on and screwed it back onto the hood frame, now it looks like this.

An easy fix and it looks much nicer.

I've started trying to restore the rear screen, it wasn't that cloudy but it had a lot of stubborn deposits on it that meant I couldn't see out too well. I started with T-cut but it was quite obvious I needed something stronger. I tried 1200 grit wet and dry with lots of water as I didn't have much to loose but even that would not effectivly clean up the screen so I used 800 grit which worked although still slowly. I've got most of the deposits off with that and then gone over it with 1200, it feels really smooth now but I can't see much out of it, I think I'll be spending a lot of time with T-cut.

The biggest job I've got is that the 2 lower hydraulic cylinders are leaking, the left hand one only a bit around the top seal but the right hand one is leaking to the extent that it is dripping out of the vent in the sill. I've got a new genuine left one from eBay for £90 but I've just given Audi £274 for the right one even though it's on back order and they have no idea when it will be in stock. I'm trying to find another source for one but I doubt I will be able to cancel my order now anyway.

I really am not impressed with Audi's attitude towards parts for these cars. My car is only 11 years old but I'm finding lots are NLA or on back order. Also when they are in stock they are really expensive. I tried to get the repair kit for my electric aerial but they've dropped that. I have less trouble getting parts for my TVR and they don't exist anymore!

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The parts issue is an ongoing problem that isn't going to improve much.

You may want to contact Audi tradition or ask your dealer to check the classic Audi parts listings.

When you look in E T K A at your dealer (if they let you), if the part has 'a' before it, that means it's available through the classic parts route.

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I asked to look at ETKA when she said she couldn't find the aerial repair kit but she wouldn't let me, she was quite short with me when I told her where it was and asked if there was an alternative. I actually walked across the road to VW to see what the situation was, the guy was really helpful and showed me that it came up on ETKA but it could not be ordered. I expect it will go NLA soon. The situation really puts me off owning an Audi, I don't mind paying for quality parts but the prices are unacceptable on some items, buying the same part in Germany would cost less in Euros than they cost in Pounds here.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've just replaced the oil pressure sender so now my oil pressure gauge is working as it should and not showing 5 bar all the time. It's a much more difficult job on a car with air con, there is hardly space to get a spanner inbetween the compressor and the pipes.

I've also got the 3rd brake light working as it should, I'd already cleaned up all the contacts and got that bit woking but it was still very dim. It turns out someone had removed the lens before and put it back on without resealing it meaning the whole unit was full of dirt and bits of plant as well as water when it rained. It now looks like this:

I've spent 5 hours trying to fix my aerial and it still won't work, I'm not going to give up just yet but I've really had enough of it at the moment.

I now have both hydraulic cylinders so I'll be replacing those soon. The one I had on back order from Audi came in 3 days and it appears to have come via Holland and Germany, considering they said they had no idea when it would become avaliable and that it might even go NLA I am very pleased to have it and have almost forgotten about the cost.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Both lower hydraulic cylinders replaced yesterday, took me 7 hours start to finish including clearing up etc.

I started by removing the rear seat

Then the side trims

Tonneau cover catch pipes withdrawn, catches unbolted and set aside. Top of one cylinder in view

View of the right cylinder from the bottom, this one was leaking badly

Hood frame unbolted

Frame lifted enough to withdraw pins from the universal joints

One cylinder removed

and the other one

Cylinders replaced, hood and catches refitted.

Oil topped up and interior refitted. Everything working as it should

I would recomend having someone to help when lifting the hood frame, I didn't and found it a bit challenging. I'm quite pleased with how the job went, it's really nice to know the hydraulic system is leak free.

Onto the the next job.......

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After a lot of work on the aerial I managed to get the gears to mesh perfectally with no runout in the shaft, it would have worked if the electronics inside the aerial had not now failed meaning it constantly tries to lower the aerial and never stops. I don't have the entheusiasm to continue with it. I've simply removed the drum part which retracts the aerial, and connected the amplified part up using the single red plug instead of the double white one. So I now have a manual aerial. I like how short the mast is on this aerial so I wouldn't consider an aftermarket one, the genuine beesting type would be good but I would have to source all the parts which I expect would be expensive. I've never liked how the aerial raises when I'm listning to CDs anyway.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

beermonster on here may be able to fix it for you. might be worth a PM

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Mike but to be honest I've wasted too much time on it already. I'm just going to leave it as it is unless I can get hold of a complete genuine beesting aerial.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
Fast28
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Halfords sell a complete beesting aerial for under £20, they also sell a manual aerial the same size as the original short electric one which I used.

2.8 Cabriolet Final Edition
30v

| Brembos | 993 mirrors | Keskin KT4 | H&R Cup | RS2 front | Jetex | 
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've managed to make a significant improvement to the rear screen, I used 7 grades of wet and dry. I started with p400 and finished with p3000. I then used scratch remover to polish it, I might go over it with T cut but I don't think it's necessary. It is not easy to photograph because of the glare but this is what it looks like now

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

there's some stuff by a company called PEEK - not tried it, but claims to be good for windows- even "milky" ones

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Today the passenger side electric window would not work, it worked yesterday and all the others were working as normal but it refused to do anything. This was not a fault I was going to live with so as soon as I got home from work I had the arm rest off to test for 12v to the red and blue wire on the switch. 12v showing so I tried another switch, still didn't work so I removed the door card, it's useful that I've done this so many times now as the first time I did it on my 80 it must have taken me an hour.

Window mech removed which was a bit tricky with the window up as it only just fits but I had no choice. I took the motor off and unfortunataly in the process let the cable unwind so I knew I'd be in for some fun later. I found that the brushes had welded themselves to the comunicator, why I don't know but it meant the motor wouldn't move. I put the motor in a drill (I don't have a lathe) and cleaned up the comunicator until it was shiny again, it didn't take much as there was hardly any wear. I also cleaned up the the face of the brushes and reassembled it all. Putting the motor back in the housing was easy, getting the cables back in and tensioned was not, it probably took me half an hour as it really requires a lot more hands than I have. I tested it with a battery and it worked fine so I reassembled the whole lot and it worked just as it did yesterday.

It was a free fix which was good but used about 3 hours I hadn't planned on spending on this car.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've done a couple of bits on this since my last post, I got a new gear indicator display which has solved the problem I had with it. I've also done a 60k mile service, nothing too exciting really.

I decided I'd like to try winter tyres based on some interesting experiences I had last year on summer tyres in the snow. I ordered some Dunlop SP Winter Sports 3D in 195/65 R15 with the intention of fitting them to a set of steels. I couldn't find any steel wheels locally but I did find a set of 10 spoke Speedlines which weren't too expensive so I went for them. It means I've ended up with a bit of a stretch on the tyres but nothing too extreme.

I've not driven it anywhere yet so I don't know what the ride is like. I'm hoping for a bit of snow now so I can test the tyres out.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
theappliance
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

im contemplating winter tyres this year as well, i'd be intereste dto hear your experiences. Im sold on the idea from experiences from various skiing trips where it is mandatory for locals to have wniter tyres for winter. The locals just drive around apparently with no trouble what so ever, granted they have more experience but the way they dont wheelspin everywhere or lock up underbraking seems to suggest your new tyres will be quite good! Very Happy
I read an article in Evo (i think) where they tested winter vs summer tyres on a 300bhp rear wheel drive Jaguar and a Lancer Evo, the airfield circuit was snow/slush/wet. You might be forgiven for thinking 4wd would reduce the need for winter tyres?.... the winter tyred jag was quicker round their circuit than the summer tyred Evo. A lot of it is to do with the compound working better below 15deg C (even on a dry but cold road) , then on snow the open tread helps to clear and bite through the snow...

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've only put 20 miles on them so far but they already feel like they have a lot of grip. I drove home early this morning in -6 with ice on some roads and although I wouldn't expect my previous summer tyres to have any real problems in those kind of circumstances, the winter tyres certainly inspire confidence. I have noticed the turn in is a bit more vague than before but the ride is more comfortable and it no longer crashes over bumps like it did on the 17" wheels. I would say the perceived compromises of winter tyres are far less noticable than a lot of people would believe.

I have also noticed how freely everyone drives around ski resorts, I've yet to see anyone get stuck or have to use snow chains even though the roads are never fully clear of snow and often have lots of black ice. The awareness and ability of people in this country when it comes to diving in the snow is shocking. I think something needs to change as it's so difficult to get anywhere with even an inch of snow. If people started using winter tyres I think it would be a very good start at improving the situation.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
theappliance
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

encouraging so far then! Cool

you could probably leaven them on till spring and have beneficial grip till then - my sisters bloke had them on his VW Touran and reported better cold and damp performance. They must inspire confidence...the last ski trip i was on the shuttle bus back to the airport and it had been snowing for 24hours, the roads had been plouged but not fully clear and on the mountain road back down from the resort we got overtaken by another bus! Shocked Shocked Shocked

quaTTro53

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would just like to thank A80QAAH and other contributors to this thread for the useful information and hints etc.
I have just bought a 1999 1.8 Cabriolet in Berry Pearl for my wife (I am selling my 2000 TT quattro to pay for it - love is all conquering!)
The aerial motor is running but the mast does not move so this thread is very helpful. Also i know one of the roof hydraulic rams has been replaced but there was some oil in the spare wheel well which I have cleaned up - so if it comes back I have a problem!
Like the 2.8 in this thread the 3rd brake light is badly faded and also it is bowed such that there is a gap between the seal and the boot lid. I hope this is accounts for the wet boot floor covers as I have ordered a new lens and gasket. If not I will need to find out where the water is coming from!
This 1.8 loses oil pressure when it gets hot! Apparently there was a known issue with the oil pick-up pipe, that is filled with a gauze, blocking, and as the oil heats up the pump has less suction and cannot draw the oil up the choked pipe. Oil pressure is fine until it gets hot. A proffessional AA style inspection of the car prior to purchase failed to find this problem as they didn't drive it far enough to heat the oil sufficiently. I have ordered a new oil pump c/w PU pipe, £259.21 - ouch!
Also the coolant temp gauge is not showing temperature, need to trace the fault - gauge, sender unit?

quaTTro53

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would just like to thank A80QAAH and other contributors to this thread for the useful information and hints etc.
I have just bought a 1999 1.8 Cabriolet in Berry Pearl for my wife (I am selling my 2000 TT quattro to pay for it - love is all conquering!)
The aerial motor is running but the mast does not move so this thread is very helpful. Also i know one of the roof hydraulic rams has been replaced but there was some oil in the spare wheel well which I have cleaned up - so if it comes back I have a problem!
Like the 2.8 in this thread the 3rd brake light is badly faded and also it is bowed such that there is a gap between the seal and the boot lid. I hope this is accounts for the wet boot floor covers as I have ordered a new lens and gasket. If not I will need to find out where the water is coming from!
This 1.8 loses oil pressure when it gets hot! Apparently there was a known issue with the oil pick-up pipe, that is filled with a gauze, blocking, and as the oil heats up the pump has less suction and cannot draw the oil up the choked pipe. Oil pressure is fine until it gets hot. A proffessional AA style inspection of the car prior to purchase failed to find this problem as they didn't drive it far enough to heat the oil sufficiently. I have ordered a new oil pump c/w PU pipe, £259.21 - ouch!
Also the coolant temp gauge is not showing temperature, need to trace the fault - gauge, sender unit?

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, I'm pleased it helped you. I sold this car over a year ago now, I replaced it with an MGB GT which I actually found a far more enjoyable car to use as a daily. I enjoyed this Audi a lot, but the horrendous fuel consumption, antiquated auto box and the mediocre performance meant it wasn't too emotional when we parted company!

Anyway, the temperature gauge will be the two nuts that mount it to the circuit board, remove them, add a couple of crush washers and replace the nuts, that should solve the problem, its common on the UN4 instruments.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
quaTTro53

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for more helpful advice. Smile Smile I won't be able to get to the various problems until the weekend but I will post the results when I have them.
The 1.8 will be much more frugal than the 2.8 I hope but this will be a weekend and awayday runner. My wife runs an A6 Avant 2.4 quattro, 2000reg, daily, which is also thirsty but very practical and she only does about 5K per annum so no a big hit.

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I decided to do a VED check on this and it shows it's been unlicensed for the past 2 months, not even SORNed, it's also uninsured. I wonder what's happened to it, it was in lovely condition when I sold it.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
gripper
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Track it down and buy it back for penny's Matt Wink
Might save it from a horrible fate !

1990 20v fwd Coupe (sold)
1990 2.0 Coupe, Alpine White (sold & dead) 
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

gripper wrote:
Track it down and buy it back for penny's Matt Wink
Might save it from a horrible fate !

It's now been taxed for 6 months so there's no need to worry by the look of things.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 

View next topic
View previous topic