Insurance quotes through Adrian Flux
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Headlamp Projector Conversion

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Fast28
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been thinking about this "little" idea of converting my standard H4/H1 coupe headlights to the more modern looking H1/H1 projector headlights found on the later S2, cabriolet and of course RS2. As usual I want to keep to a tight budget and keep away from dealer priced parts as much as possible.

The basis of these headlamps is going to be a dip beam projector lens and the projector glass lens. Here's my driver's side headlight....

The clips that hold the glass lens to the plastic housing have been removed, th best way to do this is to place a flat bladed screwdriver under the tag on the plastic housing side and twist 90 degrees, they should pop off real easy.

Next remove the glass lens....

All those diffraction patterns on the inside of the lens are going to be no good for the projector lens and besides it wouldn't look cool now would it Cool . It's at this point that you probably notice all that mold growth on the white gasket seal, it's easy to wipe off, the gasket is glued down though so don't pull it off unless you're looking for some extra work. Another thing I noticed once I cleaned the dust of the reflector is that over the past 14 years the chrome plating has pitted and there are bare patches of plastic towards the front of the reflector. I may look at some potential chrome paint to see how it might stand up to the original stuff.

Now the more headlight knowledgeable amongst you will notice that the H4/H1 reflector is not the same as the Audi projector reflector which is shallower and has a larger curved arc reflective area for the main beam, see below....

The Audi projector lens also has a diffraction pattern that follows this arc. The standard headlight main beam reflector area is cut-off quite close to the bulb but it follows the same diameter arc and so I see this as posing no problem. As far as I can tell until I have a projector lens in my hands that bulb locations on both headlight designs are in the same location.

The business end of the conversion is based on a reasonably cheap projector bulb H1 lamp....

I've bought two of these for 29.99 each + 3 shipping cost from Ebay from a UK seller, apparently these are very popular with bikers converting their lights to be "HID ready". Main beam projectors are also available for the double projector look.

I've looked at prices for the S2/RS2 glass lens and as it's the only lens I can use I've got no choice but to use it. The three quotes for the lenses are:

Audi main dealership: 43.50+VAT each
Vag parts: 38.98+VAT each (8.50 delivery for pair)
GPC: 35.40+VAT each (approx 9 delivery for pair)

Lenses ordered from GPC (German Panel Co.) and should be here mid-next week. Projectors I should have by the weekend. Smile

2.8 Cabriolet Final Edition
30v

| Brembos | 993 mirrors | Keskin KT4 | H&R Cup | RS2 front | Jetex | 
cq20v
Site ADMIN
Site ADMIN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Very interesting stuff and alot cheaper than a pair of episoidals Very Happy

1993 S2 Coupe - Sold (gutted)
1989 CQ20V - Sold
1986 Coupe GT - Deceased
1985 Coupe GT - Deceased 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fast28
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No parts arrived yet Sad but onwards with the headlight dissection...

The chrome surround easily pull off and is not held by screws.

Next the bulb covers are removed at the back of the unit and the main (H1) and dipped beam (H4) are removed...

The black unit on the right is the motor for the headlight level, there is a dial on the dash that controls this. This can be left as is and does not need to be disassembled.

Next the front chrome reflector can be removed. The reflector is held at three points. Looking at the headlight head-on, first is the upper right connection that controls the left-right alignment, second is the upper left connection that controls the up-down alignment. The third connection is the lower left that is a clip-on connection that connects the reflector to the alignment motor control, this simply unclips. The two upper connections are removed by using an allen key to fully unwind the adjuster mechanism, the screws will unwind out of the threaded connections, like so...

There is an earth connection that needs to be removed from the main beam metal frame and then the reflector is free to be withdrawn from the housing.

30v

Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Looks quite an interesting alternative, will keep my eyes on this project Very Happy

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
taylormade
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

good on ya for having go. happy1

NineNails
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ditto. Very innovative too Cool
Si.

Fast28
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Received the projector glass lenses today from GPC Very Happy . Still waiting for the projectors though Sad . Anyway I trial fitted one lens to see if the bulb locations on the H4/H1 housing and reflector line up with the projector H1/H1 lens....

That'll be a yes then! Very Happy Very Happy Cool

It can be seen that the hole for the H4 bulb is bang smack in the centre of the clear glass section so as long as I mount the projector in the same location I should be ok. The main beam section is ok, the circular pattern in the glass extends over to the dip beam reflector section but as I'm using a projector it doesn't matter.

I could if I wish use another projector for the main beam and go for the full black reflector but it's more cost and if I'm honest I prefer the chrome reflector OEM look Wink .

30v

NineNails
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All looking really promising so far, fingers crossed for you Smile
Do you have a plan for mounting the projector worked out yet?. I'm assuming you'll have to cut the hole bigger in the reflector, I reckon that'll be the trickiest bit of the job?
Si.

[Edit]:
Fast wrote:
I could if I wish use another projector for the main beam and go for the full black reflector but it's more cost and if I'm honest I prefer the chrome reflector OEM look .

Agree, plus I think it would look weird Shocked < like the eyes in that smiley Laughing

Fast28
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Right, projectors have arrived Very Happy everything I expected them to be and no nasty suprises. Here's one exploded into it's component parts...

Everything assembles around the main plate and I'm going to use this to mount the projector assembly to the headlight reflector.

Here's the back of the standard coupe H4/H1 reflector. There is nicely by chance a mould tool witness line that goes around the top of the reflector, this is ideal as la evel plane on which to start cutting. Twisted Evil

Of coarse I've been doing some forward planning and worked out a few measurements of where the projector should be. I've planned that I'll need a flat surface on which to mount the projector's bracket and that mounting surface needs to be 40mm further down than the witness line on the reflector in the above pic.

The first cut on the witness line, all my cutting is done on a Dremel tool with a cutter disc. The plastic material the reflector is made of is extremely dusty and I would advise safety goggles and a dust mask!...

Time for the second cut 40mm below this one. To mark the cutting line I used a set square with a pencil taped to the vertical, by dragging the the set square over the level cut I was able to mark a line where the 40mm level cut was to be.

Step forward a few hours...

I've cut the next section away and using the section as a template I've made a plate from some acrylic 2mm sheet about 3mm larger than the outline. I carefully marked where the projector should sit by temporarily holding the parts together with tape and aligning the projector with the clear glass section on the new Audi lens. Once I'm happy with the alignment I cut a hole large enough to just line up the projector mounting plate - there is an outline of the projector cup that protrudes about 1mm from the surface of the mounting plate that sits inside the cutout.

30v

Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

looking good so far, how much has this set you back?

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
Fast28
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All the main parts including postage costs comes to 150. There are also paints, adhesives, plastic materials, finishing materials that I already had. The most expensive parts are the glass lenses that are 35+vat each - the cheapest I could find them.

30v

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

any further progress?

Fast28
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have finished them,Very Happy just need to finish off with a few more progress photos....

After walking around the cars at ADI in October I had a look at some of the cars with projector headlights, namely the later S2s and RS2s. I quite liked the blacked out look on one RS2 especially on Laser red paintwork so I took the decision to paint the reflectors around the projector black but leave the main beam with the chrome as it would be needed to reflect the open bulb.

This is the result viewed from the front with new plastic panel glued with epoxy and the separate compartment for the main beam. I had some chrome paint lying around that I hadn't used yet so I sprayed the projector holding ring as it would make a nice contrast to the black. The chrome paint is funny stuff, once sprayed it looks grey/silver but the chrome element seems to rise to the surface. Once dry you cannot wet sand or polish it or even cover it in lacquer as the reflective surface will disappear Confused . You can see the main beam chrome area is starting to look tatty and heavily marked with all the handling and dust Sad .

Right, time to assemble the projector bulb....

The mounting plate is mounted to the back face of the new plastic back and held in place with epoxy, it will also be held by screws later on. The Projector bulb has the holding ring placed over it. I had to glue some wire under the ring as a spacer as the holding ring is now has the plastic plate between the mounting plate and it's mounting feet.

The plastic plate is now drilled for the 4 screws and the chrome rear reflector cup is temporarily held by tape while the projector bulb assembly is held up and screwed into the mounting plate behind. Note the beam cut-off plate mounted on the top half of the projector cup.

Now the assembly can be bolted into the reflector plate at the rear to sandwich the plastic plate in between.

At was at this stage that I placed the assembly behind the projector glass lens to check the alignment but discovered the main beam reflective area didn't look right behind the glass pattern which is designed for a larger main beam area on the factory RS2 lights so it was then I made the decision to go full chrome, the main beam reflective area was looking shabby so I thought it would rejuvenate the whole of the reflector and surrounding areas. The chrome spray paint is in no way a direct alternative to the chrome plating of the original but it's as best as spray paint can get with chrome, as I've said earlier it's awkward stuff to use!

30v

Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ah so you was admiring s2_bo's rs2 Laughing Laughing

I ain't going to say what he paid for the car as he got a very good deal Very Happy

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
G-mo
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

looking good, that - I was looking forward to seeing them assembled in black, but if it ain't working out...

\'00 Kingfisher Blue A4 1.8SE 
Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Do you have any fully finished shots of these Very Happy

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
Fast28
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, now sold to Gavs20v! Smile

30v

gavs20v
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

indeed, currently sat in the conservatory waiting to go Very Happy
Damn i wish id bought that cab front bumper off you in the pics Crying or Very sad

istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

your a lunatic!
can you make me a set as well?!? assuming you have bought some ellipsoids?

View next topic
View previous topic