Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Differences Between a B3 and a B4 Audi 80 (W/Pics)

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

So my Audi 80 B3 is being towed away tomorrow;

I decided to make a guide on the differences between the B4 and the B3 Audi 80's.

First things first, the specific cars I have are a 1991/1992 B3 2.0L 4 Cylinder, I believe that it was one of the last Audi 80 B3's imported into Australia because of the year/rego as it was marked 1992 in the registration and marked 1991 on the engine and various other things.

The B4 is a 1994 2.6L v6, it's also the basic white color and has the same rims (Factory?) whereas when I got the other Audi it actually didn't come with those rims.

Do note these are the Australian Versions of the cars, yours may be a bit different but not totally.

To start with the rear tail lights are slightly different on both, the indicators are more a reddy tinge then orange on the B4 and they're a lighter more viabrant orange on the B3.

B3:

B4:

Next is the exhaust (I'm not sure if the 4 Cylinder B4 has a single exhaust or what) but I know that between mine, the B3 has a single tip and the B4 has a dual tip exhaust.

B3:

B4:

The spoilers are different designs, if you look the design of the B4's appears to be slightly thinner and is missing the middle supports and is supported from the outside of the bootlid. I actually prefer the look of the B3's spoiler and may one day get the B3's put on the B4.

B3:

B4:

The mirrors and door handles on the B3 are a dark grey color (same as the trim/bumpers), whereas the B4 has white door handles and mostly white mirrors. Though I have seen some other B4's with the grey handles but it's more rare as all the B3's that I've seen have the grey/trim matched ones.

UPDATE: Apparently the "sports" models had the matching door handles and mirrors, and the standard ones didn't. The majority of B4's in Australia have the matching door handles/mirrors but I have seen some with the grey. All of the B3's I have seen have grey handles/mirrors however.

B3:

B4:

The front lights are setup differently, the indicators are clear with orange bulbs on the B4 and orange with clear bulbs on the B4. The B4 also has foglights and bottom/lower indicators which are orange and have clear bulbs. Lots of people do mod their lights to have the RS2/S2 clear ones however so that can be seen too but stock is orange.

B3:

B4:

The front grille on the B4 is part of the bonnet and when you pull the bonnet up the grille comes with it, whereas on the B3 the grille is part of the front body/chassis.

B3:

B4:

While we're on the topic of the grille, the B3's bonnet release is a push sideways tab-like latch, whereas the B4 has a clip/latch in the third O ring of the Audi logo (it looks cool!)

B3:

B4:
Kind of hard to get a photo of at night Razz

The B4 also has a automatic/piston lift for the bonnet, whereas the B3 has the old school metal "rod" to hold it open.

The B4 has sound proofing in the engine, so it's a less noisy drive when you're driving despite it being a bigger engine/V6 in my case.

B3:

B4:

The B4 also has sound proofing in the rear, whereas the B3 only HAD covers. (I removed mine as they kept falling off).

B3:

B4:

The bonnet on the B3 is a more flat/curved shape, whereas the B4 has the up-lifted part. I.E it's not flat as you can see.

B3:

B4:

The Engines are vastly differing here of course, but just some photos for interest between a V6 and a 4 Cylinder. I've seen under the hood of someone else's B4 that was a 4 Cylinder and it looked similar to my B3's.

The B4 has a "strut brace" stock, whereas the B3 does not.

B3:

B4:

The front wheel arches on the B4 are a lot more flared then that on the B3, it gives it a more sporty look. The rear arches are a bit more flared but not on the same level as the front arches.

B3 Front:

B3 Rear:

B4 Front:

B4 Rear:

Fusebox remains in the same hard-to-get-to place on both.

Both:

Battery has moved as you can see, it's easier to access in the B4 I think, at least easier to jump start... The B4's photo isn't great but you get the idea.

Coolant overflow tank is a different position slightly and a different shape. Again not sure if this is because of the two different engine types as my B4's coolant tank has "V6" written on it.

B3:

B4:

The fuel lines on the B3 are braided, whereas on the B4 they're not.

B3:

The B4 has a driver airbag in the wheel, whereas the B3 has no airbags whatsoever.
The wheels are also slightly differing.

B3:

B4:

The speedo/clock remain the same, excepting the B4 has a monochrome indicator that tells you what gear you're in. (I think this is meant to light up).

Both - too similar to picture twice:

The B3 has an extra Tray section between the rear ash tray and the drivers drinks/phone section (at least that's what I use it for). The B4 is missing this, I actually noticed this straight away oddly enough.

B3:

B4:

The seats are a different shape, the B3's aren't as wide as the B4's and I actually feel a lot more "in place" in the B3's seats, whereas the B4's feel more comfortable (they're newer too and less worn in though).

B3:
Unfortunately lost this photo somewhere..

B4:

The B3 has a 3 Speed Auto Gearbox (or a 5-speed Manual) and the B4 has a 4 Speed Auto gearbox (or a 5-speed Manual, again).

The B4 has a "Sport-mode" which drops back a gear usually and sets the revs between 1,000 and 1,500 revs higher before a gear change, really good to overtake cars with on single lane roads actually.

B3:

B4:

The B4's gearbox gears actually light up when the parkers/lights are on, the B3's is just a sticker.

B4:

The knobs for the fan/heating/etc are more rounded on the B4 compared to the B3 (also harder to pull out).

B3:

B4:

The B3's Hazard lights switch is in a different place to the B4. The B4's are next to the rear demister/fog lights switches, whereas on the B3 the switch is on the top of the steering wheel column.

B3:
Lost this one too unfortunately..

B4:

The stock front speakers are the same on both cars, Nokias. They last forever Very Happy
Not sure about the rear speakers as my B3 came with some but they were broken (from the sun) and so i threw them out and the B4 came with aftermarket ones which I pulled out myself.

The B4's rear speakers are in the doors, whereas the B3's were on the rear shelf. They both have tweeters stock, but the B4's are in the doors and a different shape. The B3's are in the rear.

The B3 has a headphone jack slot for the rear listeners to put on if they wish. The B4 does not.

B3:

B4:

The roof/support structure on the inside of my B3 is a hard sort of plasticy material, wheras the B4 has carpeted. Which you can't tell from pictures, so i won't bother.

The B4 is around 2-3 Inches longer then the B3 and you can notice it from the outside.

B3's Rear Quarter Panel:

B4's Rear Quarter Panel:

The boot in the B4 is almost DOUBLE the size of the one in the B3, this is due to the fuel tank being around 10L smaller and put under the car, rather then in the boot like in the B3, and due to the extra 2-3 inches length and the spare tyre goes under the boot rather then having a oblong/weird shaped boot. So there is also more usable space compared to the B3, this is one of the biggest differences and best thing about having a B4 I think.

The rear seats are also attached to the rear axle or at least in-line which let you fold them down if need be. This is because the boot is slightly longer.

B3:

B4:

The bodykit is cleaner/neater looking on the B4 as it is the body color, whereas on the B3 it is black/grey to match the trim. It makes the B3 look like more of an 80's car and the B4 look more like a late 90's car. This is the easiest way to tell, unless someone has put the B4 kit on a B3 (or vice versa, but WHY would anyone?)

B3:

B4:

I almost forgot the handles above the doors are different too, and in the B3 the drivers handle is missing.

B3 Missing Drivers Side:

B3 Handles:

B4:
I will get another photo later, again missing for some reason..

The B4 has ABS brakes, whereas the B3 doesn't.

The B4 also has cruise control, whereas the B3 does not.

The color "theme" is different, this obviously changes between cars.

The B4 also handles better/smoother, whereas the B3 can take corners faster due to the B4 being around 50% heavier. (~1,100kg for the B3 and ~1,600kg for the B4).
All B4's have fog lights as mentioned before, and they all have rear fog lights (a extra brake light that is really bright) - Some have one and some have 2. B3's have no form of fog light from what I've seen/owned unless it's third party.
The fuel tank in the B3 is 75L - This is marked on the dash.
The fuel tank in the B4 is 65L (Around that, some say 64 and some say 66)
The top speed on the dask of the B3 is 220, the top speed on the dash of the B4 is 260.

To me the suspension on my B4 feels firmer to that on the B3, this also makes a difference in corners, the B4 feels like you can turn harder (at slower speeds), whereas the B3 being lighter with more playful/soft suspension feels that you can thrash it into corners at speed and still come out good. They are both good cars for handling though, like absolutely perfect I just feel better driving the B3 through corners at speed.

From my partially experienced eyes those were the only differences, I'm sure there are other various ones but I think these are the more important ones/more visual ones.[/img]

Last edited by Matt-Matt on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total 
Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That must have taken you a while

For the door handles / mirrors sport models had them colour coded and they also came with a boot lid carpet liner.

Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mikes2 wrote:
That must have taken you a while

For the door handles / mirrors sport models had them colour coded and they also came with a boot lid carpet liner.

Only about an hour or so, oh so the sports models have the colored handles? That's interesting, so it means that my B4 is a sports model and my B3 is a standard model then I guess. What other differences did the sports models have?

hoolio
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

pointer; my b3 4cyl 16v has gas bonnet strut an twin tail exhaust.

Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

hoolio wrote:
pointer; my b3 4cyl 16v has gas bonnet strut an twin tail exhaust.

Really? I don't know about the gas strut, but all of the B3's I've seen around here feature just the single tail. I've seen a few as I know someone that has around 20+ Audi 80's.. There aren't many B3 16v's in Australia either so I don't really know about that either.

Audicted
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Couple more things: Tail lights from a B3 will not fit a B4 (unless it is an avant), Battery location on 4 cylinder B4s is up against the firewall just like B3. Only V6 models have the battery up front by the headlight.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All the multi-valve cars came with twin tail exhausts

hoolio
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also,not a great pic but as you can see the battery is in a altogether different position

Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Great write up Matt Very Happy

I thought I'd add a few photos as well of my 1993 B4 Audi 80. From NSW, Australia.

The battery tray on mine is in the same spot as your B3.

Also just one exhaust, but a large end on it.

Mine doesn't have an airbag, but it does have ABS, also weirdly front power windows only, rears are wind up's.

Abdul 
Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Audicted wrote:
Couple more things: Tail lights from a B3 will not fit a B4 (unless it is an avant), Battery location on 4 cylinder B4s is up against the firewall just like B3. Only V6 models have the battery up front by the headlight.

That's interesting about the tail lights, I actually found some OEM smoked ones new in box on ebay for $200 AUD, was tempting but I'm just going to leave them. I already just bought some OEM clear front indicators and looking into side ones to finish it.

Mikes2 wrote:
All the multi-valve cars came with twin tail exhausts

Not going to quote the others due to the images! Nice to see, so far we have that the multi valve ones have 2 exhaust pipes, whereas the 4 cylinders? have a bigger single one. If you look under the car you can see why, 3 valves from each side of the engine go into each exhaust.

@Hoolio is that a 4 or 5 cylinder B3/B4? Looks like a B4 to me, but that's an odd spot for the battery.

Another thing to add is that the overflow coolant tank is different for the 4 and 5/6 cylinders, but the same for the 5 Cylinder/V6 but different markings for max/min.

@Sarfraz; Not wanting to be rude, but how long ago did you pick your Audi up? I got mine recently for $900 AUD, but it needed rego and the CV joints doing.

It's also odd that your rear windows aren't power windows too, and no airbag.. Must have been options or just present in the 94 model by default. Nice car however! Looks neater then mine!

hoolio
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's B3 4 cyl Matt-Matt
regarding the tail lights if you look at the top of the rear wing it is straight cut on b3 and angled on b4 so boot lid is different.

Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Matt-Matt wrote:

@Sarfraz; Not wanting to be rude, but how long ago did you pick your Audi up? I got mine recently for $900 AUD, but it needed rego and the CV joints doing.

It's also odd that your rear windows aren't power windows too, and no airbag.. Must have been options or just present in the 94 model by default. Nice car however! Looks neater then mine!

Yep its the 5 Cyl 10v motor. I've had mine for about 15 months, currently at 140,000kms, with a full service history. I was looking at an 1997 A4. But the 80 looks better too me.

Also mine doesn't have cruise control.

Abdul 
Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sarfraz wrote:
Matt-Matt wrote:

Yep its the 5 Cyl 10v motor. I've had mine for about 15 months, currently at 140,000kms, with a full service history. I was looking at an 1997 A4. But the 80 looks better too me.

Also mine doesn't have cruise control.

Oh really, no cruise control? Mine turns off when the lights are on, but I assume that's just a safety thing for night driving. I was looking at A4's and the Audi 80 was a lot cheaper and I had one before and i just like the look of them too. Parts are easier for me on an 80 too for obvious reasons Razz

P.S My clock says 287,500 as of Today. It had an engine swap with another engine at around 220,000 and that engine had like 170-180 on it or so apparently. So around 40,000 k's under what the clock says supposedly. The clock doesn't mean a lot, as long as it's not over 350-400 really.

hoolio wrote:
It's B3 4 cyl Matt-Matt
regarding the tail lights if you look at the top of the rear wing it is straight cut on b3 and angled on b4 so boot lid is different.

Yeah, I can see that now and Nice. Smile

View next topic
View previous topic