Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - AIRBAG LIGHT RESET

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
cabriomark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys, after replacing the heater matrix on my 1997 2.8 v6 cabrio the airbag light needs resetting for MOT, so i thought should be easy enough. I located the black and white k-line connectors in the fuse box and bought a cheapo OBD2 code reader off ebay (u480 memoscanner) and a 2+2 to OBD2 adapter but it fails to connect to the ecu to perform a reset. Is it the crap gear or could there be another reason. I've read up on the K-line and that it runs through the radio, cluster etc and if there is a problem with one of them the code reader cant connect to the ecu. I've checked the radio, fuses, removed radio etc but no joy. I hate to be beaten can anyone help, cheers, mark

cabriomark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well sorted if I was using the wrong scanner, bought a memoscanner u281 for 11 quid off eBay along with the 2+2 adapter and cleared the airbag codes all ready for its Mot

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

cabriomark wrote:
Well sorted if I was using the wrong scanner, bought a memoscanner u281 for 11 quid off eBay along with the 2+2 adapter and cleared the airbag codes all ready for its Mot

Hopefully the car passed the MOT mate, but keep in mind that clearing fault codes doesn't rectify the cause of the faults themselves!
My airbag light did similar, and my (genuine) VAG-Com cable told me it had an intermittent signal from one of the wires. The light always did go out after about a minute or so, but I bet it would be enough to fail an MOT if the tester was having an iffy day!
I just pulled the light from the cluster. Permanent fix to stop it flashing, and doesn't stop the airbag itself from functioning.

BRC LPG conversion - half price fuel Wink
Twin exit custom exhaust fitted by the guys at glasgow C+C Exhausts. 
cabriomark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah cheers it passed its mot, as i said replacing the heater matrix on my car required me to remove the steering wheel, airbag, dash and a whole lot of stuff so clearing the airbag light was not an intermittent fault, it just needed a reset, and has been clear since, and a big thumbs up to the s2 forum who posted a big how to do a matrix step by step procedure!!!

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

cabriomark wrote:
yeah cheers it passed its mot, as i said replacing the heater matrix on my car required me to remove the steering wheel, airbag, dash and a whole lot of stuff so clearing the airbag light was not an intermittent fault, it just needed a reset, and has been clear since, and a big thumbs up to the s2 forum who posted a big how to do a matrix step by step procedure!!!

Gotcha mate..a proper re-read of your original post did explain that, doh!
Always dreaded the time for the matrix replacement on my own car..so far its still blowing away quite well, considering its' probably the original parts.
AFAIK it is a real pain to do, dashboard out, etc..not one to attempt half heartedly Wink
Do you need to be a member on the S2 forum to get the lowdown on it? I aint gonna be lazy and ask for links, etc - rather go look for things myself if possible!
Anyways, heading to grab some zzz's..had the week off and I'm more bloody knackered than I would be on a normal work week..lol
Cheers

cabriomark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Can't find the link but if you want a copy send me an email address I got it all stored on drive

cactusgreen
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

v6-fubar wrote:
cabriomark wrote:

!
I just pulled the light from the cluster. Permanent fix to stop it flashing, and doesn't stop the airbag itself from functioning.

Well your going to fail your MOT next time round then...one of the checks introduced was the test for the tell tale lamp....for exactly the reason you pulled yours!.....but how observant each centre is is still as hit and miss as always doh....

Just lost Sad UK \'01.5 B5 2.4SE Tip, Votex body kit, Hidden Microwave PDC, Pirelli x-pressure TPMS,Hardwired Bel Euro RX65e, Lamp Guards...and the exclusive Red Logo Audi Sport Valve Stem Caps! A 94 80 Cab 2.6e auto and now 2010 S4 Smile 
v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cactusgreen wrote:
v6-fubar wrote:
cabriomark wrote:

!

Well your going to fail your MOT next time round then...one of the checks introduced was the test for the tell tale lamp....for exactly the reason you pulled yours!.....but how observant each centre is is still as hit and miss as always doh....

Wrong mate..already passed last year without it and they never checked for any lights on the dash! As soon as its' due again in june I'll be using the same tester again-good mate of mine so don't see any probs.

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cabriomark wrote:
Can't find the link but if you want a copy send me an email address I got it all stored on drive

Thanks a lot for that mate..if you click the email link below my signature you can send me an email direct.

cactusgreen
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

v6-fubar wrote:
cactusgreen wrote:
v6-fubar wrote:
cabriomark wrote:

!

Wrong mate..already passed last year without it and they never checked for any lights on the dash! As soon as its' due again in june I'll be using the same tester again-good mate of mine so don't see any probs.

Mmm so basically you've had an MOT tester fail to do a standard test....and pass it anyway....don't get me wrong I'm no fan of testers being over cautious on things and failing over silly stuff like leaving a sat nav holder in the sweep area of the screen.....and like you say it just wanted a reset after your hard work....but I doubt you'd have been as pleased if it was say and abs light and you ran into the back of someone...because it was in fault, and the lamp had been pulled, and I'm sure the one in front wouldn't thank you Shocked. After all, its why they added the lamp tests to the MOT

Just lost Sad UK \'01.5 B5 2.4SE Tip, Votex body kit, Hidden Microwave PDC, Pirelli x-pressure TPMS,Hardwired Bel Euro RX65e, Lamp Guards...and the exclusive Red Logo Audi Sport Valve Stem Caps! A 94 80 Cab 2.6e auto and now 2010 S4 Smile 
EightyWay
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use a hex interface with the adapter to talk to my B4 Avant. My airbag light gets tripped if the battery is disconnected the wrong way (+ first). If you have a dodgy battery it may cause a lamp.

I went through 4 obd2 interfaces before I got it working on the engine of my 16v! But some of the ebay ones did work for ABS Immo and Airbag. You may have to fiddle with the baud speeds (reduce to 4800) , Xp is generally advised and restart the program (and turn off - on ignition between each attempt).

Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure if I'm bumping an old thread but does anyone still have the link to the heater matrix guide at all or can send me a link to it? That'd be sweet!

cabriomark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Matt-Matt wrote:
Not sure if I'm bumping an old thread but does anyone still have the link to the heater matrix guide at all or can send me a link to it? That'd be sweet!

Send me your email address and il send u the pdf, iv got it stored on drive, can't find the link, it's a step by step I used it for my cabrio matrix

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cactusgreen wrote:
v6-fubar wrote:
cactusgreen wrote:
v6-fubar wrote:
cabriomark wrote:

!

Mmm so basically you've had an MOT tester fail to do a standard test....and pass it anyway....don't get me wrong I'm no fan of testers being over cautious on things and failing over silly stuff like leaving a sat nav holder in the sweep area of the screen.....and like you say it just wanted a reset after your hard work....but I doubt you'd have been as pleased if it was say and abs light and you ran into the back of someone...because it was in fault, and the lamp had been pulled, and I'm sure the one in front wouldn't thank you Shocked. After all, its why they added the lamp tests to the MOT

If my ABS light was flashing I would defo be checking the sensors,etc but yeah, I'm pretty sure the tester didn't even look at the cluster to test any of it as I was there the whole time! Thankfully, my brakes are spot on, and the michelin sport 3's are probably the best tyres I have ever used - braking in the wet is no probs at all.
As for the airbag itself, there would be no fail if there was no airbag actually fitted - an aftermarket steering wheel or removing it after the 15year expiry date would be the get outta jail card for it.
Always wondered whether I should be pulling that out..don't fancy running around with an out of date grenade sitting in front of me each time I'm driving! lol

View next topic
View previous topic