Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - 1996 Audi 80 2.0 avant suspension options

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
craig1010cc
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all

I will be picking up my new motor on Sunday and I am after some suspension advice

Currently it looks like this

but it used to look like this

It used to run on a set of modified FK Konig's, i've tried to order a new set (not cheap at just over £600), but they are out of stock and FK wont tell anyone when they are next going to produce any more.

I'm thinking that I might end up getting Protec to make me a set of coilies to my spec (they are just down the road from me and the cost is about the same), but are there any other off the shelf options that are any cheaper?

I've got this pic of an AVO set up

on the front struts, is the housing that the steering arm bolts to and the bolts to the hub a part that can be removed from the orginal strut easily (ie with out a grinder Wink ) and any suggestions on spring rates

Sorry for all the questions for my 1st post, was hoping I could get a simple solution buying off the shelf Sad

Cheers

Craig

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not with on the front struts question.

The section for the steering arm is part of the upright and not removable unless you get destructive with your grinder. If you do that, you'll have no steering.

The upright attaches to the wheel bearing housing by means of 2 bolts/ nuts. This is detachable

craig1010cc
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

On the picture of the AVO coilovers, on the front ones there is a section which has mud/grime (which is the bit that the trackrod ends bolt to and bolts to the front hub) and it looks like the body of the coilover is slipped inside it.

IanW_home
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

On the standard front strut, the bottom of the spring sits in the spring pan, which is welded to the upright (the grey bit with the steering arm that bolts to the hub). The shock absorber sits inside the upright, retained by a screw on cap, with the shock absorber rod being the siver thing visible inside the spring in your picture.

I'm not familiar with AVO, but coilovers usually have the spring pan ground off - not unbolted, and replaced by a threaded tube passing over the upright body. This threaded tube has a large 'locking nut' that acts as the locator for the bottom of the spring. By unlocking the nut & winding it up & down the threaded tube, the ride height can be adjusted independently of the spring rate.

So, no it can't be removed easily. Going to coilovers will mean serious surgery on the current front strut assembly (or get a second pair from the scrappy).

Ian.

craig1010cc
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Ian, I've been digging some more today and I had come to the same conclusion that a set of stick uprights will have to be 'adapted'

Oh well, should hopefully have a set lined up (as I don't want mine off the road for a bit whilst its being sorted Razz

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As Ian has indicated the spring plate gets removed.

On a standard upright it's welded on. You need to grind it off (carefully) and fit a threaded collar on.

There's a good thread about this on S2forum

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50575&highlight=threaded&page=4

Just be aware these are for the S2 which used larger struts

craig1010cc
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers, I'm talking to a company about combining parts from my struts and a pair of hot tuning passat front coilovers. 1 thing they have suggested is to lower the position of the steering arm as I am planning on running it very low. They do this on mk2 polo's quite a bit apparantly and they have found it helps alot when running very low.

May take a bit more effort, and I wont have adjustable rate damping, but should save my self some money on the process Smile and they'll be made to my specification too and from their experience of FK's quality, a better product too ("FK's adjuster collars are made of a grade off ally that is much like feta" Razz)

craig1010cc
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, hopefully sorted the front suspension, if all goes well tomorrow then I'm collecting a pair of KW variant 2 coil over Smile Just need to sort the rears out......... Laughing

View next topic
View previous topic