Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - My Project 90 2.3E

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My 1990 Audi 90 2.3E.

The Story so far.... lol Laughing

AutoTrader Advert Pics from March2011

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Millage pic for proof of millage for insurance, after the trip back from Nottingham.

Nice cleanish engine bay

Some random Photos, taken once home.

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

K&N panel filter bought and fitted, along with modified airbox to suck more air lol Wink

Bits and stuff gathered to be fitted....

5 15" Ronel Aero alloy wheels, still haven't got round to refurbing mostly due to the weather, that and the tyres on my steel wheels where brand new when i bought the car...
Big Thanks to Scotty33 for those!!
Also A Big Thank You to The Real MSH! who transported them from Gwent to Glasgow for me, and passed them on to an Aunt and Uncle who transported them from there to N.Ireland for me!

Not Orange Indicator Lenses... lol
A Big Thanks to Audioc for the front and rears!!
The silver bulbs and side repeaters got from ebay..

3 Spoke Leather Steering Wheel from ebay..

ATD module robbed from a set of C4 A6 Dashclocks bought on ebay...
And Sensor, a Big Thanks to K.Simmonds for that!

Auxiliary gauges and replacement Ashtray, a Big Thanks to Audisimon for those!

And the Sensors for the gauges from goodazz, a Big Thanks also!

Last edited by dgacampbell on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total 
dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now for some light transformation lol..... Laughing

Had to be modified to fit, the where way too tight, and the silver plastic was very brittle, as i found out with the first pair i bought!!

One side done lol Laughing

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

More light transformation... Laughing

Passenger side done Very Happy

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now for the fronts .... Laughing

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fronts done Razz Razz Razz

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now the rear...... lol Laughing

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rear Lights done Cool

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Steering Wheel Fitted Very Happy

Auxiliary gauges fitted, wired up and working (except the oil pressure sensor has not been changed as i had the wrong sized spanner, and its sunday, so will be next weekend now before that is sorted lol Confused Also note the new real leather gear gator and (Gear knob (from Custom Auto Craft)) Very Happy

The ATD wired up and working after following Jase's instructions, with new bulb soldered in... Big Thanks for Time and advice m8y! Wink

Well thats it for now folks....... Laughing

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers Folks!

Future plans.... As and when cash will allow...

Raised rear boot spoiler (or complete bootlid and spoiler should paint be as good as my own)

Have G60 callipers and carriers sourced, and will fit once i get wheels refurbished..

Lower 35-40mm

the quietest performance exhaust i can find (looking like it may be a jetex)
( i personally think it makes enough noise on WOT with the K&N panel filter and AirBox Mod, i like that it is so quiet driving normally, but roars when you play with it lol)

De-Cat pipe,

Retrofit the rear electric windows, and electric sunroof, (which also requires matching rear door cards)

Get the matching front seats with bolsters (This is the first 90 from my 85 90CD that hasnt had sporty seats)

Stealth fit a better sound system, i have in all the rest as the speakers are truely awful, and these ones have not been abused yet lol.

Maybe retrofit the ABS (2nd out of the 6 i have had without ABS the other was the B2 90) Altho that may be a pipe dream as it looks like it would be a nightmare job!

Had also planned on fitting LPG, as i wanted this car for a daily driver(Am torn on this one) May end up getting a derv banger as a daily and keep this for dry days out lol..................

Well there ya have it, other than lowered just enough so it doesn't look like a monster truck, a shiny exhaust tail pipe, and no orange lenses, i want to keep it looking fairly standard.......
Wink

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well just home on firday afternoon, first weeks work experience finished, and welcomed home with my stereo having arrived,

Fitted.

Really impressed with it! Amazed infact!
To put it into perspective.... this head unit can be purchased in the shops for £150...
Previous to this from i bought my first headunit in 1995 at £350, and every one since in the £350 -£500 price range.....
I am truely amazed at the sq from this, even through the truely awful 22yr old original speakers!
Some nice features too, anyone with an older car that still uses a single din headunit, this is worth a look if you are thinking of an upgrade!

(Alpine if you are reading this how about a discount voucher for my next purchase?? lol )

Cool

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Been at it again....Spending money i don't have lol
Halfords had sent me an email this morning about clearence stock.........
In this i seen a Subwoofer i had been eyeing up for a while
A Vibe CBR 10 Active EVO Subwoofer @ £170
In the email today priced @ £52 (£118 saving)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_237503

I think to myself, yes i'll have that, so i get checking stock at my local branch... None
Next closest branch check.... None and so on then find one in Belfast 30 miles away.....
So reserved that....
Next thing the phone rings, it's Halfords....

"we do infact have one left, but there is a piece of fabric on the port plug to put your finger through to pull it out if you wish to do that, that has been torn off, has no effect on the function of the unit, if you still want it you can have it for £40! "

Bargin me thinks!
I have an Aunt and Uncle that have a shop in belfast, so one of them is away round to pick the sub up for me! where sometime over the next week it will be relayed to me! Cool

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Home at 17:25, And it has taken me until now to open(with the aid of stanley and a pair of Scissors) and take a few photos of todays delivery (18:10).

For anyone that doesnt already know, K.Simmonds is a living legend!
A bomb could have went off in the delivery van and my package would have been safe!
Thats a few times i have purchased stuff off the man, always on time, great honest communication and very fair prices! Very highly recommended! Cheers Kit! Super

Oh yes todays goodies Laughing Very Happy

A very nicely made pussy bypass pipe with all the fittings needed!! Very Happy

And the much needed ShagRail for the tail end of my car Razz

Also an assortment of dash switches as i have a rouge one that lights up a different shade of red to the rest!

I''m like a squirrel at the minute gathering parts instead of nuts lol Laughing Cool Super

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

More goodies arrived today, had forgotten about ordering this under the influence of wine lol........ Laughing

Nice new electric aerial! No more having to remember to retract the old manual one when parking now! Hehe Cool

Very Happy

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well my grandad relayed the sub the last of the journey today while i was at work.

And this is the fault that got it further reduced from £52 to £40....... a bit of fabric missing......... Suits me fine it will be staying put anyway lol :smilewinkgrin:

Mega Bargin! Laughing Rock yaRock ya

:devil:

Cabrio80

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats for your upgrades on your Audi... Great work.

I own a Cabrio with the same engine (2.3) I and I am dealing with a pressure and temp problem with the gauges!

When I start the engine oil temperature stays on minimum and pressure needle is always on maximum (5).

Since you have been working around your engine could you please tell me where is the sensor responsible for the oil gauges?

I think pic1 stands for the gauges sensor but not sure if pic2 might be the one!

Help...
Thank you

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Cabrio80,
First of all hello and welcome to the Forum.
Second thanks!
Have you also retrofitted the gauges yourself?
Or maybe someone else has.......
I find http://www.vagcat.com/ handy for figuring out parts on our engine, you do have to sign up but it is free to use the parts catalogue then.
Once registered, go here.....
http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A80/1990/111/57/1123339/

Part 16 is the oil pressuer switch, if your gauges have been retrofitted, they may not have the correct sender, i had to find one for my gauge to work correctly.
Part 14 is the oil temp sender. I also had to find this, if your car does not have these parts, your best bet is post in the parts wanted, or ebay.
Hope that helps.
Dan Very Happy Cool

Cabrio80

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for your quick reply Very Happy

The gauges are stock (original).
So, I guess it is the sensor in PIC2.
Nº16 (at your graphic) is for gauges fitted afterwards, am I right?

P.S.: Thank you for adding a pic, people like you are great help Very Happy

Regards from Portugal

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No probs m8,
You need the 2 pole switch for the oil pressure gauge, and the oil warning light on the dash to work.
hth
Dan.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

pic 1 is your oil temp sender

in pic 2, it's the large sensor above your circle which does your pressure gauge.

I have to say it looks in a poor state - have you got a water leak just above it ?

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

18-feb-2012

Well as those of you, who have been following this thread, will know how chuffed i was with my bargin sub from halfrauds!

Well thanks to Kit Simmonds and Lee Whitehead last weekend, for the instructions and advice on removing seats and carpet etc so i could do the amp wiring nice and tidy!

2 days in and out between rain showers to do the work, then on sunday evening all put back together, wiring tested, sup plugged in, popped 3 fuses in a row.

Phoned the local halfrauds, where i was accused of wiring it up wrong..... Had to bring a sorned car to them to have one of their employees test my wiring....

Then was informed the best they could do was give me my £40 back or i could keep the sub and try and get another amp, or have them repair it at my cost?

So i took the sub home really disapointed and opened it to have a look inside, only to find that it had been opened before at some stage as the amp was not even wired to the sub woofer, wires hanging loose, and some of the clamps used to hold the output transistors to the heat sink where missing..... (you could clearly see the marks where they had been)

So a few phonecalls to customer support and a few days of back and forth argueing they decided they would refund the original £40 and issue me with vouchers for the messing about so i could get another package, not the one i wanted but better than what i was originally offered.........

So last night i got the phonecall to go pick up my new setup from the local store, where i would be issued the vouchers so i could get the new stuff. Wait for it........
Got to the store, got to the till, and got told, i'm sorry we have no vouchers left, and the chap did not have the authorization to do anything about it......

So as you can imagine i was really pissed off to put it mildly........
Back home onto the phone to the head office again............ Blah blah blah appologies etc....... Will have something sorted for me first thing in the morning...... Blah blah.

So this morning i get a phonecall to come to the store where the duty manager had this sitting waiting for me

Not the one i wanted, but in effect £60 worth of vouchers for the trouble with the first sub....

And these although not sure how good they will be, but can't be any worse than the original front speakers..... for being messed around last night....

So alls well that ends well i suppose lol but i'm sure if they see me coming towards the shop in future, they may be likely to pull the fire alarm to keep me out lmao

Just gotta find time tomorrow to fit it all and make sure this stuff works!

20-feb-2012

Well, bit of an update, the magnets on the ripspeed speakers are too big to allow fitment.........

But on a positive note, with the stereo's internal hpf set to 120Hz for the front and rear speakers and the lpf set to 120Hz for the sub, i have now got a surprisingly good sound in the car from the original speakers.
Ideally you would want the filters set somewhere between 80 & 100Hz but the original speakers can just about cope going as low as 120Hz.
It's gonna take quite some months before i have run the new sub in (30hrs reccommended) and a few tweaks along the way as it gets louder and deeper..... but for now i'm quite pleased with the sound i have got!

06-mar-2012

Well took the old beast for MOT today, with no prep work what so ever........ was very surprised the only thing wrong was what i expected, the handbrake does nothing on the rear passenger side wheel at all......... lol

21-mar.2012

Took the car to get new timingbelt, tensioners, waterpump done, along with power steering belt, and alt belt, gearbox oil changed, brake fluid flushed and changed, power steering fluid flushed and changed, coolent flushed and changed, new rear passenger side caliper, new rear discs and pads......
(I done the oil filters and plugs myself before i took it up )

A £400 stamp! In fairness, they addressed a few other problems i was not aware of, and the difference in the car is unbelievable, the brakes would put you out the front window, with the lightest touch of the pedal, the gear change is effortless as running a knife through melted butter lol! Steering is much lighter. Handbrake works!! i could go on!! Now all i need is a quick re-test for the MOT. Ignoring some poor initial communication, i can honestly say they where more than willing to bend over backwards to please, even offered to deliver the car to my front door FOC. I would give them a second chance

Kit, your cat bypass pipe has done wonders, the car is quite a bit more willing to please! Cheers!

26-mar-2012

Washed.

Dried, hoovered and waxed, fit once again to be viewed by the public!

Why when i know my car is now mechanically perfect am i still nervous about MOT tomorrow???? Whats that all about???

27-mar-2012

Nuff said!!
Cool Cool

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Twin pot G60 calipers and carriers have arrived! Very Happy
A clean, a lick of paint, and a nice new shiney set of front discs and on te *censored*! Very Happy

(A big thanks to FarmerPhil and Audioc)
Cool Very Happy Laughing

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly 1 year later, to the minute lol...

A huge 1505 miles done lol.........

Cabrio80

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

You really take good care of your Audi.
She still is a knock out, so she deserves it Smile

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After further investigation of the free Ripspeed speakers i had got from Halfrauds, i noticed this bit of rubber that was covering the magnet.............

In an attempt to remove it my finger slipped and bust the cone of one of them lol. :wall:
Ah well they where free after all, Laughing lesson learnt, i attempted it again on the other speaker out of curiosity. It came off easy enough...... :nod:

Wondering to myself would it now fit? Idea I removed the original tired Blaupunkt from the drivers side of the dash. Things where much better, the speaker now fitted, just about,

it caught the capacitor on the way back out and broke the solder joint lol...
Anyway Using this speaker as a template, i trimmed 10mm*0.5mm piece of plastic out and the speaker fits like a glove. :smilewinkgrin:

Did the same for the other side, then went to Halfrauds, got a new pair for £10, and fitted them. :ihih:

Lee you where right! I too am impressed, they are surprissingly crisp and clear...... and some kick off them for 10cm speakers. (even with the sub turned off).
Very HappyVery Happy

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Click on pic for vid........

Angry sounding yoke lol

:hehe:

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The postman arrived today with gifts from me to ........ well me i spose lol LaughingLaughing

Cool

dgacampbell
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bit of an update..........
The tweeters where to big to fit inside the original enclosures much to my disapointment.
So they had to be modified.

Amp rack attempt to be carpeted in the near future...

Still room in the boot for 2 kingsmill loafs, 8 tins of baked beans and a bottle of wine! (room for the weeks shopping lol Razz )

I don't think the tweeters look quite as offensive as i thought they would!?

Very Happy

Cabrio80

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nice job as usual.

And now two things I would like to know...

1.What kind of engine oil do you use? Viscosity, ...

2. When the engine is cold does the oil pressure gauge goes to max (5 bar)? And with the engine warm, what oil pressure can you read?

Regards

View next topic
View previous topic