Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Smashed Cabby

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Guys, just had a call from my wife, some stupid *@!!! in a clio just slammed into the back of our cabby, sounds like the boot, lights, rear panel and bumper has had it (I think the quaters are alright).

My main worry is that the insurance company will write the car off as I know these parts from Audi will be stupid money.

Anyone breaking one that could help with parts?

AOC Member 1519 
samc
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

hi my friend has a full car for breaking, its in newcastle upon tyne.. pm me if you want his number. cheers

gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in N. Ireland, would he be willing to ship large parts?

I was in Newcastle a couple of weeks back bringing my S2 avant home too Rolling Eyes .

AOC Member 1519 
quattrokid
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

also try Will on 0778454952

he usually has a few cabrios in for breaking up.

Northampton ( not much use if your in Ireland) but he does ship world wide I think.

gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Long shot I know, but I take it the bootlid and bumper are diffrent fron the saloon?

AOC Member 1519 
gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actually just looked at the car and it's worse than first thought, damage is boot, rear panel, rear bumper, front bumper front panel, bonnet, possibly headlights. Didnt want to open the bonnet as it may not close again and my wife has to drive the car home.

this could be a write off! Sad

AOC Member 1519 
samc
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

he probably will but i'd put my money on it being a write off too, ill ask him how much for the full car next time i see him, it needed a rear screen and the timing belt had snapped (v6)

gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm starting to think a full donor would be the best option if it is to be wrtten off. The car is a 1998 model in near mint condition (before the accident, with leather and only 66k on the clock.

If I could get one the same colour (dark metalic blue) it would be super.

AOC Member 1519 
gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's a turnup, the girl who hit the car was quite young, her mother has just phoned and offered to pay for the repairs without going through the insurance. Thing is I reckon she thinks its a bumper respray, not £2-3k of damage. Another concern is that our car was pushed into the car in front who says there was no damage (cant see how from the damage on the front of ours). What happens if she decides there is, or mysteriously develops a sore kneck tonight? Does she have to claim from our insurance as we were pushed into her? If so will our insurance wash their hands as we dealt outside them already?

I'll get a rough quote in the morning , anyone know the rough book value of the car? It really was in excellent condition and needs to be fixed right!

AOC Member 1519 
samc
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

have a look on the pistonheads classifieds, loads on there..l if you ending up getting a good pay out and want to break your car instead...... is it a 20v 1.8? as i'll buy the engine mounts off ya Very Happy

S2X2
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If it was me, I'd let the insurance write it off and get the money and buy a later model met blue 2.8 v6 with leather.

As was mentioned, you'll be spoilt for choice on Pistonheads if you are not in a hurry?

A 2.6 or 2.8 is way nicer to drive than a four cylinder version, I know the petrol is worse, but IMHO it is worth it. V6 engine is nice with an auto box if you drive in traffic a lot or do not drive it as if it was an S2 !

Sorry for your trouble.

pm me if it goes to a NI breakers, thanks. Embarassed

gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We will not be getting a V6 and def not an auto. The reason we went for the 1.8 was it was easier to run than the alternatives as a daily driver. I am not going to let them write the car off unless I have no choice (even the I will buy it back and fix it myself) , I will not see a car like this scrapped if it can be saved. I can do almost any work to a car myself and have built cars from bare shells before, I reckon I could fix this myself and have change from £1k. This was a mint low mileage car which we paid close to £4k for a year ago (with hardtop).

I'm a bit surprised that the advice from a forum of enthusiasts is to just scrap it and buy another Crying or Very sad .

AOC Member 1519 
S2X2
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The post was only my opinion, not an order.

The car was mint before the accident it will not be quite so mint after the accident, because it has had an accident. If the front legs are OK and the rear floor is OK, then the car should be OK.

I myself never drove an auto until I got this car, and now I can see both sides after driving it for six months, i.e. manual boxes and auto boxes. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Different stokes for different folks. Empathy.

Relax - Guy with axe

dangerousd1
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

mate dont break it. go the insurance company route then you're covered regarding the other driver in front of you.
do all the research you can now for other cars matching yours for prices and get the best payout you can.
you can then keep the vehicle and use the payout to put the car back on the road.
I did that with my coupe 3 years ago, i was very lucky that i found a matching red coupe on ebay for £200 and used the panels from that. mine was a cat c write off but its straightforward to get the car re-registered after the repairs have been done.

the insurance company will probably try to screw you down on the price but if you have copies of other cars for sale to back you up you can haggle for the price you want.
I got a payout of £1500 for mine eventually after several months of arguing with norwich union. they wouldnt budge on £800 for a long time. I had bought the car a year before for £1900 too.
here is my car as it was and now.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheersguys, and sorry if my last post was a bit strong, no offence meant.

Our car is nowhere near as bad as yours was, the good thing is the gaurds and rear quarters haven't been touched. The rear presents slightly more of an issue than the front.

Given half a day I could have the boot and bonnet closing. Problem is I cant touch it untill we go down the getting quotes\insurance inspection road. Just frustrating. I reckon the boot doesnt need replaced, just fettled and sprayed. The bumpers look ok from the outside but probably need replaced once they are taken off. looks like theres a panel at the back of the spare wheel well that goes up to the boot catch, I'm hoping this is the same as the saloon as I have one of those or spares and if it comes to it I'll get the spot weld drill and the welder out..

As the boot is repairable I could actually buy a coupe the same colour and use the bumpers, bonnet and slam panel setup. I actually have a saloon bonnet spare here if I'm really stuck but it needs sprayed.

I know a few guys in the spraying trade who I can work with and are happy for me to do prep work etc and just leave panels to them to spray.

AOC Member 1519 
gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just loked through the autotrader site, the only one with same engine, mileage (1k less) and condition as ours is for sale for £3990. ones with about 10k more miles are up for around £3k to £3.5k

AOC Member 1519 
dangerousd1
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

keep copies of all those that are for sale on there mate, then if the insurance company play hard ball you have the evidence to fax to them. i had to do that in the end.
keep looking too. there will be others that come up in the mean time.
you never know they may repair it, unlikely though i think.
if you know guys in the trade then it should be painless to sort out.
the frustrating thing is squaring away the paperwork with the insurers. i was the same with mine. i had the donor and the guy ready to cut out and weld in the new inner wing but i couldnt touch it until i got the payout. it was very frustrating.

McDan
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just catching up on this now, sorry to hear about that mate, hope you get it sorted.

As someone else already mentioned, try Will at vwaudirecyclingsolutions, he ships stuff to N.Ireland no problems - I just got a full cab electric recaro interior sent to Belfast from him no issues whatsoever. He's very helpful too!

D

gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Another development. The 3rd parties insurance company phoned me yesterday and admitted liability and offered a free repair.

Question now is can her insurance write off my car?

AOC Member 1519 
quattrokid
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I got rear ended a few years ago now, when the loss adjuster came to see the car I asked who he was and what he was doing at the body centre. He explained what his job was etc and within 2 minutes he was unceremoniously told where to go.

I was stationary when hit, the woman driver accepted responsibilty/ liability as soon as it happened so her company WOULD be paying to get mine fixed at an authorised Audi body repair facility AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL MY BE BE WRITTEN OFF!!!! Twisted Evil

The loss adjuster looked at me as if he saw a ghost then say ok , repair it.

an excellent job was done and the car is still going, once it has a gearbox replacement, but thats another story and it aint mine no more Sad Sad

so moral of the story is you stand your ground and you demand that your car is repaired by Audi ( or unless you know someone better) and the 3rd party insurance WILL be picking up the tab.

Far too often the wee person on the st is shafted by insurance companies so unless your car it reduced to a mangled wreck then fight to save it and sod some insurance companies bank balance.

you pay insurance to cover you against such events so use it.

gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

cheers, thats kinda where I was with my thinking. The quote so far looks like £4200 to repair but getting it written this aternoon (I'd say it could go up as the bonnet hasn't been openned yet).

Why should our car be writtten off by her company when we did nothing wrong? My opinion, she hit us, she should put it right!

Probably not the laws view but they'll get a fight anyways!

AOC Member 1519 
quattrokid
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

yea, if she hit the exhausts thats a good posibility of damaged manifolds at least and exhaust of course.

damage no matter how superficial it looks soon turns into alot more when you take a closer loook.

go over your car with a fine tooth combe because IF there is going to be a big stink about repairing your car..... you NEED to have ALL your ammunition sorted out and in 1 box. You cant go back later and say " oh I found my ex manifold cracked because the exhaust pipe was shunted forward.

get all your damage written down and verified by an examiner from the RAC or AA or who ever so its been examined by a competant separate party then go to your insurance company with all the details and PHOTOGRAPHS, take LOADS of phots from all angles of the dangles, if you have a phot you have evidence.

4200 quid quote!! mine was about 3000 for a new boot lid, new slam panel, new boot liner, respray new panels, labour and a rear light unit and centre section.

it was a good job done but it was with a fight I got it done in the first place. Loss adjuster didnt know what he was looking at, to him it was a 1994 Audi with nice wheels Shocked Shocked

say that again sir................ Shocked ok I suggest you go and do some homework on "older Audis" as you put it and go and find out what an S4 quattro is all about. Call me when you have learned something.

tell you what though gunman..... you have the power of forums to back you up these days, I wasnt on any.

Once your insurance chappy finds out the backing these cars have you will have a lot stronger case to put forward to getting yours repaired and its NOT what the little black book says is the value of a car........ its the value someone is willing to pay to buy it.

for example, you try and find a valuation for a Ur quattro.... according to the classes guide its scrap value, in fact its probably not even mentioned anymore, hence agreed valauation policies are now available for them.

do you have photos of your damage?

gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No photo's I'm afraid, the car was lifted and I can't even get at it now. Kinda fell it's been taken away, these guys work out what suits them best then let me know, at the min I am powerless to do anything. I would be happy to work out a settlement with the insurance and fic it myself but that depends on their valuee, I'd say it couldnt be replaced for less than £4k - £4.5k (I've got autotrader ads printed out here to prove that, most even at that price have cloth or half leather seats, ours is full leather. I am as you say, getting my ammo ready. One other thing worth noting is that I am in N. Ireland and any 'similar spec'd\mileage\condition' car will be in England so even if I replacethe car it'd cost about £300 extra to get it!

Just one big balls up!

AOC Member 1519 
quattrokid
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ok!!

Ireland..... hmm!! you may play by different rules over there BUT you are the legal owner of the car, its not sat in a police holding unit is it? if not you DO have access to your own vehicle, its STILL YOURS, not an insurance assessor's.

Go and ask to have access and take your phot box with you. worst case get a copper to go with you, they cannot prevent you from access to your OWN property.

say your insurance company want photos as well...OR get your insurance company rep to get photos for you, let the big boys sort it out for you.

failing that I know if someone who was thinking of selling his S2 cabrio......... YES an S2 cabrio Shocked

1 of 4 worldwide Shocked it has a full quattro running gear and a 5 pot 20v turbo engine in it, so if yours is put to bed....

gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yes, I have seen that car for sale on S2 forum. We need the 1.8 as the wife uses it every day. need some sorta economy!

AOC Member 1519 
gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Finally getting somewhere whith this insurance company, they have agreed a value of £4ki for the car as it's below average miles and in well above average condition. Salvage they are looking £700 so they have sent our solicitor a cheque for £3300 (Although they got the name wrong on it). I can get the car back now and put it back on the road, It is a Cat C writeoff, as far as I know it needs and inspection before it's put back on the road? Does this mean it can't be driven back from the garage where it's been stored?

I've already accumulated all the parts to repair it myself anyways, NOS front bumper off ebay, replacement bootlid, rear bumper and slam panel off members of this forum (and S2Forum), and a bonnet off my old 80 TDI (just hope the saloon and cabby bonnets aer the same Confused ).

Rear panel will need a bit of panel beating and paint but another future classic Audi has been saved from a crusher!

AOC Member 1519 
McDan
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Legend man, well done. I congratulate you for your perseverance!!

there are even less of them on this side of the water from what i can see, i certainly don't seem to see that many of them around belfast thats for sure!

I'd be more than prepared to offer you a hand with any of the work you've to do if you needed it, but I'm sure you can handle it Laughing - I'm just finished a heater matrix on my 96 cab and that was stacks of fun on my own, Very Happy

well done again mate!

Dan

gunman
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers Sir, very nice of you to offer. I should be grand with it tho, gonna be fun taking an angle grinder to the bonnet to get it to open Laughing , the slam panel is bent uyp which is stopping the bonnet from opening, so I'm going to cut say a 6 inch square round the bonnet catch then lift the bonnet off leaving the square attached to the front panel section. Thats the theory anyways Laughing Laughing

Any advice on what it takes to put a cat c back on the road guys would be much appreciated.

AOC Member 1519 
McDan
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that sounds like a plan for getting the bonnet off. Can't really see a simpler way of doing it to be honest.

Also, I've plenty of cab spares lying around (bits and bobs like) I'll have a rifle through them over the nest day or so and see if I come across anything that might be useful to you.

As far as I know, to put a Cat C back on the road here in NI you'll need a VIC test - All you need to know here:

http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/vehicletesting/vicfaqs.asp

They'll check the repairs while doing the identity check, so I think thats it. I couldn't be 100% on that having never gone through the process myself, but it sure seems so.

quattrokid
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

GREAT NEWS Gunman Cool

took a bit of time but you got there in the end, just need to spend winter repairing it.

If it was over here I think you would need an inspector from VOSA to check the car repairs are safe and legal etc, possibly an MOT as well. Ceertificates from repair centre perhaps.

Willl you be doing a repair thread, before and as you progress wwould be good to follow.

delighted to hear you have managed to save it.

Good luck Very Happy Very Happy

View next topic
View previous topic