Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Airbag warning light

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
DaveE
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've recently bought a 98 1.6SE Audi A4. Within a couple of weeks the airbag light has started staying on constantly after the ignition is turned on. The car has driver, passenger & side airbags, non of which show signs of having been activated or tampered with. Are you aware of any common faults on this model and basic checks I can make, or am I destined for a big bill from Messrs Audi? Can you recommend any literature / websites on the subject? I have a multi meter and am reasonably au fait with car electrics. Will the car fail an MOT in this condition? I've also been considering buying a DIY type fault code reader / service re-setting tool. Can you recommend any, and would they also read off the air bag fault codes?

Many thanks,

Dave Evans

DaveE
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Think I've got enough background info off the forum to have a stab at this now.

johnnyboyA6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi
jsut joined site
couple of questions!
can i assume all Audi airbag systems are the same , ie A3, A4 ,A6 etc
Where do you guys go if you need spares, Audi seem extrordinarily expensive
I to have the airbag problem with my A6, on, reset, on ,reset etc etc
Earlier in this forum someone quoted Audi as saying ("we are not technicians") scary considering how much our cars are worth!
I will try the connectors under the seat trick and get back to the forum
Finally , why didn't i find you guys earlier, is it the .net name ?

QuantumJohn
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Johnnyboy,

If you want new genuine parts go to http://www.vagparts.com
Martyn there is extremely helpful and plenty cheaper than your dealer. Very Happy

I am afraid I can't help with the Hand Bag light. Since mine has been reset it has stayed off.

John

kurgan
Camped on the site

Location: London UK Passat 1.8T SE '01 (Y) A4 1.8 SE '96 (N) Vag-Com user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For fault code reader check out http://www.obdtool.com/ I used it to diagnose the air bag fault on my 1.8se to the slip ring behind steering wheel, I managed to rip open this sealed unit (£70 odd quid new) and resolder both ends (originally machine press welded) and have had no reoccurrence in over a year now. I have also used the obd tool to reset service interval reminders. In my opinion well worth the £67 it cost me.

DaveE
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Finally got my OBD tool for xmas - fired it up and after some teething troubles (my fault, not OBD's as it turned out!) was able to diagnose and reset the airbag warning light. Turned out to be the connector under the drivers seat as some of you guys suggested. A quick wriggle and all is now well. Costas at OBD responded to my e-mails requesting technical help extremely quickly and I suspect the tool has easily paid for itself on its first outing, particularly as my MOT is due in a couple of weeks. No other faults showed up so it's all a bit of an anticlimax now. Hella rear spoiler (almost identical to T Sport) also showed up unexpectedly and due to be fitted as soon as it comes back from the paintshop for the 2nd time!

A prosperous and trouble-free New Year to you all.

DanD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DaveE
I had the same problem in My 99A4. the airbag warning light came on and stayed on. I took it to a dealer and it turned out that the connector for the side airbags runs behind the seat rails. and at some point the seat was pushed all the way back and it pulled the side airbag connector out, and that registered a fault in the computer. So before you take it to the dealer (I dropped US$110 for this), make sure the connectors are plugged in, and then you may have to clear the faults in the computer before the light goes off.

View next topic
View previous topic